Grand Traverse Bay tips!

May 18, 2022
Precision Precision 18 Geneva
Looking for any local tips End-July launching from Traverse City area with daughters 13,15 hoping to sail East arm-West arm around peninsula or vice versa. Maybe hit a hotel 2-3rd night if they’re getting antsy on the boat. I sailed the bays several times over the years (windsurfing

In particular-Where is a good spot to launch and store trailer?

Thanks
Erk

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
Hey Erik - Suttons Bay has a pretty good marina, boat launch and trailer storage. The trailer storage is a couple blocks away from the boat ramp all reasonable prices, and the town of Suttons Bay is a charming "touristy" town. Lots of cute shops and restaurants.

Sailing from Suttons Bay to Northport is a a pretty good trip. Longer, but also a good trip, is from Suttons Bay to Haserot Beach.
In East Bay I really like the Elk Rapids marina (Edward C Grace Memorial Harbor). I think the last time I was there they told me that they usually don't take boats smaller than 25', so they officially added several feet to my Capri 18.

I make marina reservations early on a traverse bay trip.

May 18, 2022
Awesome thanks. It looks like Omena bay is a good place to anchor out between Sutton and Northport. That area is a hidden gem for sure. I know Hemingway loved the NW coast of Michigan I went to a random bar in Petoskey once and the bartender said I was sitting in his favorite seat! Pretty cool.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
elmwood may be a good launch area, esp leaving a trailer for a couple of days. call and ask. It is at the base of west bay. I am in Elk Rapids. There are transient slips usually available. Power Island, Bowers Harbor are a couple of good anchorages, but last heard they are getting "crowded" which is relative term. East Bay anchor at old mission harbor on east side of mission. Keep me updated on your trip details, I can always ferry the trailer around for you. East Bay has a couple of launches: Elk Rapids is furthest north, then there are a couple of remote ramps at base of east bay I am unsure. I have anchored south end with right conditions: shallow that end.

May 18, 2022
elmwood may be a good launch area, esp leaving a trailer for a couple of days. call and ask. It is at the base of west bay. I am in Elk Rapids. There are transient slips usually available. Power Island, Bowers Harbor are a couple of good anchorages, but last heard they are getting "crowded" which is relative term. East Bay anchor at old mission harbor on east side of mission. Keep me updated on your trip details, I can always ferry the trailer around for you. East Bay has a couple of launches: Elk Rapids is furthest north, then there are a couple of remote ramps at base of east bay I am unsure. I have anchored south end with right conditions: shallow that end.
Thats awful kind of you!

Ill figure out a float plan as trip gets closer. 4 days mid-week end of July ish.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
Thats awful kind of you!

Ill figure out a float plan as trip gets closer. 4 days mid-week end of July ish.
....I will be racing Chi-Mac: 7/22-7/26 So depends on timing of your trip, otherwise the offer stands. You will love the area, no salt, no tides, no sharks, no fetch for heavy seas (unless out of the North) and very little traffic, esp on East Bay. Cool clear 600ft water

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
If you go to Bowers Harbor be sure to stop in at the Boathouse ... see all the scenes from the Josh Lucas movie "Hideaway". Not a good movie to watch with 2 daughters, though, I'd suggest otherwise. Great for cinematography!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Interesting, Scott. Sounds like a movie to share with my wife this evening. She grew up in Michigan and insisted we honeymoon in Traverse City. We found a motel on the Bay. It was a fun visit...;)

May 18, 2022
Yeah it’s funny my wife from NE Ohio does the typical Myrtle Beach or Hilton Head thing people around here do for Summer vacation.

It is my worst nightmare 95* 150% humidity no thanks. I tell her NW Michigan is spectacular in July and she says, Michigan? Really? But hopefully that’s the prevailing though about the Malibu of the Midwest!! Keeps the hoards out.