Jan 16, 2019
Looking Cruiser Victoria, BC
Hello all,

I am interested in knowing more about Grampian Classic 31 listed in this ad:
https://nanaimo.craigslist.org/boa/6796074941.html

I've found this info:
https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/grampian-classic-31
http://www.grampianowners.com/GC31/gc31.html

And on this page, they indicate they were also built by Classic Yachts in Canada in the 70s, which may explain the reference to a 1987 launch in the above listing - did they also sell them as kit boats?
https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/classic-31

I think the price is high for a little known boat, but it is also a full keel design, and Grampian is known to build tough boats; plus the interior woodwork looks fairly good.

I'm interested in a cruiser for the BC coast and wonder if this might be a good fit.

Thanks

Dec 31, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 351 Charlottetown
They seem popular here on the east coast, at least three in our harbour every summer

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
SG.
A first answer would be Sure... There are a few and they seem nice.

But that would be as shallow an answer as Roberts Banks on the Fraser.

First boat - Cruiser. What are the things you mean by this. You can get out on the water daily in a kayak and that is a good boat for the Salish Sea for some folk.

I think it is about fitting the boat to the type of cruising you want to try, not the cruising to the boat. What about cruising in the Salish Sea appeals to you? Where do you want to explore? When do you want to go? How long do you want to stay? Is it about getting to destinations or is it the journey getting there? Do you like being inside a dark shelter or do you want a more exposed style of visiting nature?

Once you identify the way you see this “Crusiing” idea then boat choices will start to sort them selves out.

Oh and available funds and personal ingenuity will play a factor.

Perhaps we’ll see you at the Vancouver Boat Show. We’ll be the guys sailing into Harbor as I want to sail the Salish Sea year round.

Jan 16, 2019
Ok, a bit more about the type of cruising I'd like to do. I would like to explore the Gulf Islands year round, and plan to take extended trips to northern Vancouver Island, and once I am more confident in my abilities, to Haida Gwai and around the Island. I am recently retired, and have wanted a sailboat since I began sailing in my teens, so now is the time. Once my wife retires later this year, we will have ample time to sail and explore.
A reasonable level of comfort for two people in cold, wet weather will be a requirement, such as good cabin heat, decent galley, and a dodger, or preferably a cockpit enclosure for winter. (of course all but the galley can be easily added later). I'd prefer a cabin top traveller to keep the cockpit clear and allow for enclosing it.
The ability to move around on deck easily and safely is key - this is not always common on 27-30' boats. The Grampian Classic 31 interests me mainly because of its full keel design, but I know little else about how they might sail. I know they are on the narrow side, so interior space is likely more akin to a 28' than a 31'; likely not a big issue for the two of us. An Ericson 29 has recently come up, and it also seems like a good contender, with heavier than typical displacement (more than the Ericson 32) and a longer fin keel.
I've considered going to the boat show, but I'm not sure the temptation of things we can't afford will be a good idea...

Thanks

Oct 22, 2014
I've considered going to the boat show
There are 2. Seattle - a big show of all types of boats. Sail boats in Lake Union and Mostly power boats in the Convention Center. There are a few sailboats there inside in the warmth.
Or Vancouver. We will be enjoying both this year. Arriving in Vancouver Harbor on the 8th, show and meeting up with SBO sailors on the 9th. Then heading for the Gulf Islands and the rest of our Winter Cruise.

Heat is a must. Cockpit enclosures are a mixed blessing and curse. They keep you toasty but they limit your ability to pilot and command your boat. One needs to be extra alert and keep your eyes scanning because you loose some of your hearing.
We each have our priority lists. Only way I know you can "be sure" is to spend your time now looking, walking on the docks, youtube sailing videos, lots of "Yachting" and Good Old Boats magazines.

Jan 16, 2019
There are 2. Seattle - a big show of all types of boats. Sail boats in Lake Union and Mostly power boats in the Convention Center. There are a few sailboats there inside in the warmth.
Or Vancouver. We will be enjoying both this year. Arriving in Vancouver Harbor on the 8th, show and meeting up with SBO sailors on the 9th. Then heading for the Gulf Islands and the rest of our Winter Cruise.

Heat is a must. Cockpit enclosures are a mixed blessing and curse. They keep you toasty but they limit your ability to pilot and command your boat. One needs to be extra alert and keep your eyes scanning because you loose some of your hearing.
We each have our priority lists. Only way I know you can "be sure" is to spend your time now looking, walking on the docks, youtube sailing videos, lots of "Yachting" and Good Old Boats magazines.
Seattle is probably too far to go, but we might see the Vancouver show for a day, and try to line up some boat viewings while we're there. I hear you on the cockpit enclosure. We'll probably start with a dodger, and add bimini for summer shade/rain shelter. Being able to extend the cabin space with an enclosure while at anchor seems like a nice idea, but may not be necessary with just two of us.
I've walked all the docks I can within a 2 hour drive, and spend tons of time reading up on boats, so I'm starting to get a better sense of what we need, but getting out on the water with our first boat will be the real test!

Oct 22, 2014
Oh yes. I started with an Idea. The read Jonathan Raban's book Passage to Juneau in 2014. Called a friend up in Everett and he said let's go for a sail, November 2014. We rounded Whidbey Island. I was hooked. Told him as we were sailing down Saratoga Passage, I was going to buy a boat. I planned to sell my trailer boat and explore the Salish Sea.

Found my present boat. S/V Hadley. She is a CAL 35 Cruiser (https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/cal-35-cruise). Big windows to view the beauty outside or tell when the fog has lifted from the warmth of the cabin. Room to move around. A solid sailor with a 5 ft keel so I can visit some of the skinnier coves. Accommodations that can sleep 5 in a pinch, but usually just me. I have been refitting her since 2015. All new rigging, prop, some electronics, etc.

But I have also been sailing her and visiting the places you are describing.
  • had a great time in Victoria in 2017 IMG_2673.JPG
  • or daybreak at Port Browning in the Gulf Islands IMG_2989.JPG .

Having just retired 2019 is promising to be a great year for sailing.
IMG_1283.JPG

Jan 16, 2019
That does look like an ideal cruising boat! I was tempted by a Cal 2-34 at auction on the weekend (went for $900) but decided I didn't need that big of a project, as I want to sail sooner rather than later. You might be interested in this account of the coastline from Victoria to Haida Gwai written by a friend with considerable offshore cruising experience. He has documented their travels since 1985 on their two 27' bluewater boats (Albin Vega and Vancouver 27), and it makes for interesting reading:
http://www.bosunbird.com/page46.php

I spent most of last summer on Lasqueti Island, sailing a Laser across to Texada and back, catching prawns and crab... I was already set on finally getting a sailboat, but this experience only cemented my resolve. Eventually I'd like to cruise to the South Pacific, but I'll settle for the BC Coast for now...

Jul 15, 2023
GRAMPIAN CLASSIC 31 EVERETT
Hello all,

I am interested in knowing more about Grampian Classic 31 listed in this ad:
https://nanaimo.craigslist.org/boa/6796074941.html

I've found this info:
GRAMPIAN CLASSIC 31 - sailboatdata
http://www.grampianowners.com/GC31/gc31.html

And on this page, they indicate they were also built by Classic Yachts in Canada in the 70s, which may explain the reference to a 1987 launch in the above listing - did they also sell them as kit boats?
CLASSIC 31 - sailboatdata

I think the price is high for a little known boat, but it is also a full keel design, and Grampian is known to build tough boats; plus the interior woodwork looks fairly good.

I'm interested in a cruiser for the BC coast and wonder if this might be a good fit.

Thanks
Hi, I bought Colonia in April of 2019. She was built and finished by her 1st owner in 1988. I am sailing her out of Everett, Wa and hope to take some trips back to Canada now that I've retired. She is a lovely lady. andy