Grampian 31 classic mast step.

May 15, 2020
Grampian 31 classic Maderia beach
I have a major crack in my maststep and i am wondering on replacement it sails fine but do not like the crack
mast 2 (1).jpg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
That is a major crack.
Sailing fine in a calm sea one thing. Sailing sound in a gale may be a question mark. Only you can be the judge. I am guessing it bothered an owner so the put a patch on it (the band) and tightened the thing.

What happens if the crack becomes a break. Will the base of the mast slip out? How is the water tightness inside the boat? Has the crack contributed to water getting beneath the deck?

Only way I know to stop asking the "what if's" is to take the mast down and inspect the mast step.

Or you could keep the boat parked at the marina and only take her out in pleasant weather and every 3rd Wednesday.

It is your boat and your choice. I support what every you decide. Ey eye Captain.

May 15, 2020
the point of the post is that yes i need to fix and replace being it is a 1965 grampian i dought i will find a replacement i did dril and through bolt the base and it is secure so far. I do know where to find a replacement and may have to make one. The bast of the mast seems to have a end cap on it and i am guessing the is something either on the mast or the base to interlock them together. And i am betting the male end is on the mast side yes i will have to find out how to lift and support the mast while i slip out the old step.

Oct 22, 2014
Looking at web pages, the Grampian 31 has a loyal following of owners. Not a lot of images. I found one that has a different looking mast base (appears to be wood).

Nice looking boat. Narrow at 8.4 feet. Definitely and old school vibe. Some of the boats appear to have been kit boats that were finished by the owners. Some have suffered from issues from water intrusion in their decks which results in some collapse or dimpling.

It appears from your image the base may be a cast aluminum piece.

You may need to remove the mast for a bit of time. Giving you access to the base.

May 15, 2020
thank you they are well built boats i also believe it was a cast aluminum and the very bottom on the mast look to have a end cap my guess is it interlocks to the the base. i assume i lift the mast and pull the base o may have to have a new one made. i did put thru bolt in it and they do a good job but you necer wont to really trust it to much. yes at 8 foot 4 it is narrow but they are fast for a full keel this is year 8 for me and refitting. the hull is a ¼ glass core and another ¼ of glass i have hull 21

Oct 22, 2014
Old boats are a labor of love.
Mine is a 1974 Cal 35 Cruiser.
IMG_3978.jpeg

A lot of discovery as she had a lot fo 'deferred" maintenance when I bought her.
She is number 21 of the 120 built.

I have learned a lot from her.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Once you get the thing off the boat, a machine shop could duplicate it from an aluminum block .. or something else would be fine.. Scroll down to "Domed Mast Step" .. Your mast bottom may be like that.. The Rig-Rite guys may be able to guide you to a suitable one after ya have pictures and measurements..

• Helpful
May 15, 2020
yes what a pretty boat ...i am going to look inside the mast as soon as i have a new camra on a wire . i look inside. i been sailing but i want to do some really long trips and i just want more trust in the standing rig

May 15, 2020
@klaudie1 i looked at the i think your talking ken6002 round with a x that is the base i am thinking the x or peg or square or what ever is on the mast side and the the base or maatstep is the receiver. i think this because the mast has no damage to it and it would have to had damage if the mast was the reciever and the base split of more then a ¼ inch. i am buying a camera on a wire to investigate more.