Grampian 28

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 13, 2004
- - Washington, NC
I'm considering the purchase of a '75 Grampian 28. Can anyone advise me of the seaworthiness of these boats? I sail the North Carolina coast.

jimq26

Jun 5, 2004
- - -
Great Boats!!!

They were built in an era where they related hull quality with strength and thickness of the glass. You won't find many problems with any Grampian that has been taken care of. Go to the website - www.geocities.com/grampianowners/ for tons of information on these roomy, safe, and very fast boats. Very seaworthy - many have crossed oceans, and quite a large number of them cruise and race on the inland seas known as the Great Lakes. Cheers

Jun 13, 2004
- - Washington, NC
Spongy Cockpit Sole

The boat I am considering has a spongy cockpit sole. I was told this is a common problem with Grampians. Do you have any knowledge of this and if so, how involved is it to make the proper repairs? Thanks,

jimq26

Jun 5, 2004
- - -
Not a "common" problem -

The cockpit sole will have 3/4" plywood underneath the fibreglass. Sometimes there may be a leak at the top of the ruddershaft that can cause some delamination, but it is not a big deal to repair and seal. Check of course with a professional surveyor, and go under the sole yourself with a good light and have a look. My G-26 also has a slight spongy feel in the cockpit floor area, but there is no water penetration anywhere. A survey this spring verified that all was solid and intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.