Grampian 26 height?

alyman

Mar 25, 2020
Grampian 26 Providence, Rhode Island
I just acquired a Grampian 26 (fixed fin keel) and am planning to unstep the mast and have it hauled it into a garage to get some work done on it.
I need to know the exact height of the boat from the bottom of the keel to the topmost (non-removable) point on the deck in order to ensure that it will fit through the garage door while it's on the trailer. Does anyone have this measurement on hand? I can't seem to find it anywhere online.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome @alyman I can understand trying to take a shortcut, but do you think you really want to guess on this issue if it is an "Exact height" that is needed?

I'd take a ruler and verify the "exact" height of the boat and the height of the door.

An error would be an issue.

alyman

Mar 25, 2020
Hi, John. The boat is in the water, so I can't currently get a measurement below the waterline (and I'm not going to have time between pulling it out of the water and hauling it to verify this information).
To make matters more difficult, I've read conflicting information concerning the draft of the fixed fin keel, between 3' and 4.25'.
Above the waterline looks to be about 5', but again, hard to get an exact measurement, and the waterline obviously varies with weight.
I've asked the garage owner to get an exact measurement of the door height. His estimate is 11'.
If anyone has an educated guess to contribute, even if it's not exact, I'd appreciate it. I just don't have much confidence in what I've been able to come up with.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I just acquired a Grampian 26 (fixed fin keel) and am planning to unstep the mast and have it hauled it into a garage to get some work done on it.
I need to know the exact height of the boat from the bottom of the keel to the topmost (non-removable) point on the deck in order to ensure that it will fit through the garage door while it's on the trailer. Does anyone have this measurement on hand? I can't seem to find it anywhere online.
@fred1diver is another forum participant that has a Grampian. I’m not sure if he has exactly the same model but he might be able to help.

I found this link that says

pull-out settee). She was to be strong and seaworthy, and trailerable - hence the swing-keel version. (The swing-keel has a draft of 3ft with the keel up, 6ft 6in with the keel down; fixed keel draft is 4ft 3in.)

This site says the same thing for draft

The fixed-keel models featured an externally fastened cast iron section with a 4-foot, 3-inch draft.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
In the water... Hmmm.
Standing at the dock I would measure from the water line to the highest point on the deck you do not want to remove. I am guessing that would be a pulpit or stanchion, unless that is the cabin top.

The Data of the boat should tell you the draft. That would be the height from the bottom of the keel to the water line.

Add the 2 together and you have an estimate of the boats height. Then you will need the height of the trailer. That can require a few best estimates. The real question - will all this combined be less than 11 feet "estimated"...

Now if that still scares you I would have a tape ready at the placing of the boat on the trailer. I'd have some tools to remove what ever Is needed till I got the boat and trailer to be less than the door height. In a pinch you can always deflate the tires as you put the boat in the garage to get maybe 6 inches.

Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
with a fixed keel, you have 4.3 ft draft, the 3 ft is the swing keel retracted, where about are you located?

alyman

Mar 25, 2020
Thank you all for your help! I think I'm going to play it safe and look for another storage option.

@fred1diver I'm in Rhode Island, just moving the boat temporarily to do some work on it.