Grab bars on deck

Jul 8, 2017
Hunter 33.5 Malletts Bay, VT
We have a 1992 Hunter 33.5. Love it, except when walking from the bow to the dodger, there is very little support (higher handholds) except from the stays. The lifelines are a little too low. We are thinking of installing a 2-3 ft. high grab bar on the cabin top, but have only seen U shaped ones so far. We would like it to be parallel to the lifelines (to haul our older bods up on deck), which means it would need a third supporting post. We have seen this on 1 photo on an older schooner, but none for sale. Anybody have a similar issue and how did you resolve it? Thanks for any help,
Barb

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I’m a little confused about where you intend to place the grab bars? I completely understand the desire as I’ve reached an age where I’m not as “nimble” as I once was ;)

The line drawing of your boat implies your cabin top extends quite a bit in front of the mast but having bars there I would think would impede the headsail when you tack.

Once you are at the mast you have the shrouds to grab so that area is covered.

To the rear of the mast you have the boom vang that I would think would bump into bars when running downwind.

0B0867BA-CC9F-405B-BBD6-81C3F08DFEE6.png

Jul 8, 2017
Hunter 33.5 Malletts Bay, VT
Hi, Hunter 216
Thanks for responding. Here is a photo of our boat. We are thinking of attaching 2 bars on either side maybe 5 ft.behind the mast. As I said, the stays (meant shrouds) help around the mast. Taught jib sheets also help from the bow to the mast, if available. We have raised our boom by 6-7 inches, so I believe the boom would swing freely.

Attachments

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
That’s a nice boat!

I’ve marked up a photo below hopefully to make it clearer about my thinking.

I highlighted the boom vang so one of your concerns should be retaining the ability for that to move freely outboard.

I didn’t realize you have a traveler for your mainsheet so the clearance issue applies there as well.

Could you use the 3 existing attachment points (I tried to circle them) for the wooden grab bar to attach the higher bar? The cabin roof is already strong there so perhaps remove the existing bar(s) and attach the new ones???

45979FBF-85D5-40F0-AABD-B5057A6EA648.jpeg

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Mock it up with pvc pipe so you can move it around, make adjustments in height, etc. Only after you feel comfortable with the final fit... go ahead... that way you'll be able to invest in a high quality, welded tubing type system instead of a bunch of fittings and sharp corners.

I will tell you that a strategically placed rope hand hold (anchor it inboard, if possible) will give you lots of stability and confidence when leaving the cockpit. Before I had my dodger with grab rails installed, it was often challenging for us older folks to board. So I rigged a line from the stanchion to the cabin's hatch handle. It was not real taut, but felt firmly attached. That gave the boarder quite a bit of stability when entering or leaving. It made all the difference in the world.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@bstaff250 I can appreciate the need to feel secure as you move about the boat.

i like the mock up idea. Much better than buying and installing a lot of hardware only to find it gets in the way of safely sailing.

No longer being the youth I was, I now tend to stay lower as I move about my boat. I also have the lifelines a bit taught. I found that when I pull up on the lifeline (instead of pushing down on it) it pulls my feet toward the deck giving me a more solid feel. I move about with a JackLine down the boats center and attached by a short tether. I can lean back in my harness and not fall over the lifeline. Another improvement. Finally, I spend more time getting low, on my knees or butt scooting to the bow when the water is rough. I have found sitting down one can find a hand hold near by.

Just some thoughts to consider.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I've been moving over the cabin top by "crabbing" sideways. Feet on the side deck, hands on the cabin top.