GPS Week Rollover Issue

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Based on what I read, only the time function will be affected. It may cause your fix to be correct but your fix might not be when you said it was. I haven't heard of GPS units completely failing except for units made before the first roll over. However, it is wise to monitor your devices and see what happens. I have 2 Garmins which I have photoed for comparison. But I do not think anything will happen to them.

Personally I think that image of "Error" is a marketing ploy. Of course they want you to buy a new GPS. But like I said, I doubt the units we use will be affected.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Brian
It’s also my understanding that most if not all modern GPS units will NOT be affected and older units might already be patched via an update so this will likely have little impact however some might have older models as backups in the event their primary unit fails. I was just attempting to raise awareness as the trigger date of April 6th is close. I for one hadn’t heard about this until I read the PC mag article I posted above. As I use a Garmin unit I have checked their support website and found this

5023C2C0-B653-47D2-8E61-B7A12B9E005F.jpeg

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
LOL maybe it dates me, but I was in the GPS business the FIRST time this rolled around. About the same time as Y2K fears were hitting, so-called pundits proclaimed the end of GPS as we knew it. Well, most of the prehistoric devices of the day survived then. The industry has has 20 years (OK, 1024 weeks) to prepare for this round. Remain calm. If ANYONE has an issue with a device, send me a pic of it failing and I'll buy you a beer.

Feb 17, 2006
@Hunter216, understood. Not trying to steal your thunder, just putting some light on the subject. First roll over happened in 1999. So if some sailors have units that old (I have two that I know of) then the time might be off. But I do not think the GPS will "die" or stop working altogether. Like Jackdaw says, reminds me of the Y2K scare. We will see in a couple of weeks. It will be interesting.

So for all who are interested, take a photo of your GPS with a good fix. Then on April 7th post the old photo and a new photo with the broken GPS. This will be interesting indeed. Here are mine just waiting for 4/6. The ones I expect to have issues, if any, are the two Garmins.

DSCF4989a.jpg

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
LOL maybe it dates me, but I was in the GPS business the FIRST time this rolled around. About the same time as Y2K fears were hitting, so-called pundits proclaimed the end of GPS as we knew it. Well, most of the prehistoric devices of the day survived then. The industry has has 20 years (OK, 1024 weeks) to prepare for this round. Remain calm. If ANYONE has an issue with a device, send me a pic of it failing and I'll buy you a beer.
Y2K, not again.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
My older brother filled his garage with storage food and bought a bunch of silver bullion in preparation for Y2K. He was answering his phone with "Northwest Y2K Preparedness Center" or some such thing.

My younger brother was in jail at the time. I thought it was a pretty crappy moment for the world to end, since I was gonna have to go bust him out somehow when the entire planet's grid went down.

It didn't stop the raging bonfire party in my back yard, though. My job was to maintain a sense of normalcy, in the face of impending doom. ;)

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Do GPS calculate the time it takes for the signal from the satellites to reach the unit in order to more accurately determine position?

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Brian
Since we both have Garmin units and Garmin says their products will likely not be affected it looks like we won't be collecting any free beer from Jackdaw. The only thing better than beer is FREE beer!!!!

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
Do GPS calculate the time it takes for the signal from the satellites to reach the unit in order to more accurately determine position?
Yes. Actually that is how the unit calculates position. Imagine a signal traveling out from the satellite. It travels in a sphere. If you know how long it took to get to your gps, you know you are somewhere on that sphere of a certain radius. Then you add a second satellite and you know you’re somewhere on the intersection of the two spheres, which is a circle. A third satellite intersection gives you two points, and a fourth tells you which of those two points is your position. Of course there is ALOT more involved... clock syncing, error detection, relativity... but that’s the basic principle.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I assume weather can also affect signals and thus the system has to rely on other parameters to calculate position?

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Not to sound like a doomsday prepper however the GPS system and for that matter a whole lot of tech could be taken out by a significant solar event but I remind myself that humankind got by or for that matter thrived for centuries BEFORE all the tech appeared. I think people who sail are already more adept at handling problems as there is usually something that needs attention.

Nov 8, 2010
I assume weather can also affect signals and thus the system has to rely on other parameters to calculate position?
The biggest sources of inaccuracy (beyond sub-optimal solution geometry) are:
Orbital error
Timer/clock error
Atmospherics

WAAS can eliminate most of this. Weather does not really factor.

Last edited:

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
I believe the frequencies selected for gps minimize the interference weather may cause. But the satellite signals (and sometimes terrestrial stations) are all you get. How your particular navigation unit handles the gps signal is another story...

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I asked RayMarine about this issue 1/27/2019. They said they are investigating.
This is there comment as of this morning on a Specific Unit...

"It is presently expected that Raymarine will be releasing the results of its investigation on this subject at the end of this week and the corresponding FAQ will be updated early next week. In short the RS125 GPS Sensors, as well as most of the Raymarine products featuring GPS receivers produced within the timeframe that the RS125 was being manufactured, are not expected to be affected by a GPS rollover until 2025. Again, more details will be released next week."
So the previous update to their FAQ says this...

"The 2019 GPS Week Rollover would have a potential effect upon GPS receivers (including GPS sensors and GPS receivers embedded within MFDs, chartplotting products, AIS receivers, and VHF radios). Any features which are dependent upon date/time information (tide / current data, waypoint/route creation date, Time, Date, slow / no acquisition of GPS FIX, etc.) would potentially be affected by this feature. This feature is rooted in the make/model of GPS receiver which has either been constructed into the product or that the product has been interfaced and the GPS chipset used in it's manufacture. Accordingly, should one determine that the date/time information reported by the system is incorrect following the 2019 GPS Week Rollover event (April 6, 2019), then it may be necessary to either replace the system's GPS sensor, add an external GPS sensor to the system, or replace the GPS sensing device (should no software/firmware update be available to address the 2019 GPS Week Rollover event).

Raymarine is presently investigating this issue and will release updated information at a later date. At that time, this FAQ will be updated with the latest information on this subject. As of the date of this response, we are confident that each of the following products are unaffected:
- Axiom / Axiom Pro / Axiom XL MFDs
- a/c/e/eS-Series MFDs
- Raystar 130/150 GPS Sensors
- AR200 Augmented Reality Sensor
- AIS650/700 AIS Transceivers

Raymarine presently investigating potential impacts to other legacy Raystar GPS Sensors, legacy MFDs having internal GPS Sensors, chartplotting products having internal GPS sensors, legacy MFDs having internal GPS sensors (ex. A-Series Classic MFDs, C-Series Widescreen MFDs), and AIS transceivers. As additional information becomes available, this FAQ will be updated accordingly. Should a system's GPS receiver be affected, then most affected systems may be addressed by interfacing a Raystar 150 GPS Sensor to the system."

So they are still not done! But at least I am clear until 2025.

I would have linked that stuff, but I think it may not link inside the RayTech Forum.
Jim...

PS: Here is my question to Raymarine link, I hope you can follow their links..
http://forum.raymarine.com/showthread.php?tid=7275

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2006
On top of all of what was said, there is this thing that is called Doppler Shift. Doppler plays a very important role here.

We know of Doppler Shift from standing near a railroad track when a train passes. Initially the train whistle is high pitched until it passes. Then the whistle appears to change frequency. That is due to the whistle's frequency wavelength getting longer, thus lowering in tone. (see Red Shift/Blue Shift dealing with light for another example) GPS, along with the other attributes listed, works on the same principle. With the gps ephemeris data being updated by the handheld unit, the doppler is known based on the speed the satellite is moving toward you or away from you. All of this plays well together.

In the case of the roll over, only time is affected. The clocks are reset and if the handheld units do not keep up then the time is incorrect. But the location should still be somewhat accurate because of other variables. Now, if they move the orbit (Medium Earth Orbit in this case) higher or lower, or the frequency is changed, then all is lost.

Science is so cool. LOL

Nov 8, 2010
Amost every GPS device in current existence was programmed with this eventuality in mind. The trick is this is all software, and there was no real way to test it. You can run it through GPS simulators and that does a pretty good job. The first time this happened there were a lot of engineers sweating, because they actually hadn’t accounted for it and were kind of interested to see what would happen with Clocks. There were some devices affected but not as many as people as expected. I’m figuring it’s going to go much smoother this time.