GPS n FishFinder / RAM Mount

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
I installed my Garmin GPS and Fishfinder using a RAM Mount, I saved from my last boat. This kind of a mount provides a lot of versatility, you can position it any way you like. I like to point it downward so I can see the GPS from the berth. I'm always a little paranoid while on the hook trying to sleep, concerned I might be dragging anchor. I can just look up from the berth and see the trace line giving me piece of mind I'm still in the same spot. You can swing everything inside out of the weather, it can be viewed from the cabin, units are easy to remove, etc.
I installed a shoot thru the hull transducer that has a housing you add mineral oil to, that the transducer sits in, providing better performance.

I don't have power to them yet, will need to install a new switch panel first.

20160220_080933.jpg 20160220_080952.jpg 20160220_080718.jpg 20160220_080748.jpg 20160220_081205.jpg 20160220_081423.jpg 20160220_110011.jpg

Jun 28, 2014
Hunter 22 Trailered Various
Very nice, Doug J. I am looking to do something similar in my Hunter 22. Great pictures... making it easy on me! How does that unit perform?

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Very nice, Doug J. I am looking to do something similar in my Hunter 22. Great pictures... making it easy on me! How does that unit perform?
Thanks! I used this whole setup on my Macgregor 26S. All worked just fine. If you're referring to the RAM mount, it works great, very sturdy and highly adjustable to any angle in or out.

Jun 28, 2014
Hunter 22 Trailered Various
Have you tested that sonar? Am I right understand it transmits and receives thru the hull?

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Have you tested that sonar? Am I right understand it transmits and receives thru the hull?
Yes, it is a shoot thru the hull transducer. One of these.
download (3).jpg
The housing is held in place with type II silicone, per installation instructions. The transducer itself sits in mineral oil.
I have not tested it yet on my new-to-me H26. But I removed the whole setup from my Macgregor 26S that I sold. It worked fine on that boat, I expect it to work on this boat as well. I positioned the transducer in the same spot I have seen it on other H26's or 260's, so... should work :)

Mar 24, 2013
Hunter 26 MN
Yes, it is a shoot thru the hull transducer. One of these.
View attachment 121006
The housing is held in place with type II silicone, per installation instructions. The transducer itself sits in mineral oil.
I have not tested it yet on my new-to-me H26. But I removed the whole setup from my Macgregor 26S that I sold. It worked fine on that boat, I expect it to work on this boat as well. I positioned the transducer in the same spot I have seen it on other H26's or 260's, so... should work :)
I like the RAM mount and appreciate all of the improvements you've made/are making to your boat. It looks sweet!
It may not make any difference, but if you install the transducer in your bilge, it'll be behind your keel. If you encounter a rapid decrease in depth, your keel will announce it before your transducer does. If that is a concern, you might want to locate the transducer forward of your keel - there's a ton of room in the bow storage area.
Anyway, keep up the good work!

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
I thought the same thing so I mounted ours forward of the keel. But in reality it will probably be a mute point as even if I seen sudden depth change that will impact the keel the antilock brakes suck on our boat so doubtful I would be able to stop before impact LOL!

Sam

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Agree with what Sam said. I have a friend who got an expensive transducer that is forward looking, like 20 feet or so. He did install it toward the bow. I think the system he has is designed for that purpose of seeing something in advance of hitting it. But for the transducer I have, I just shoot it straight down. I installed my transducer in the same place I've seen others install theirs.