GPS glitch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
My Garmin 72 seems to function correctly in all things except for tide predictions. No matter where i ask for a tide prediction the asnwer comes back "inaccurate results". Has anyone else encountered this?

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Garmin tells me that the data base has expired permanently and the data mst be obtained from a different source.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Well that's not nice. Gee, I had an old Micrologic that had tide tables out to 2030.

I wonder how many other Garmin models will also be affected? I'm sure they use common software modules throughout their line.

When I get to my sailboat this weekend, I am going to check to see if I still have tide data.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Ross, I'm sure you are familiar with printed tide tables and time corrections for specific locations. Just keep on using the GPS unit for navigation and get yourself some tide tables. Sound like the $10M writting pen developed for use in space, which could be used in zero gravity and upside down, can be easily replaced by a simple lead pencil.

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
Ross, I just had that problem with my 182C. It required a software update to correct. I'm sure Garmin was correct about the database being expired BUT you might want to check and see if you have the latest software updates for your 72. And cross your fingers that it will correct the problem. For now. Dangit. I don't want to buy another chartplotter because the tide charts are gone. And paper tide charts for all the places I might have to duck into between Freeport, TX and Tampa Bay, FL will be a mess to keep straight. grrrrrrrr

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Long before there was GPS there were tide tables and I used them and still use them. There are books that show the time difference for many stations based on a prime station. you only need the current tables for the prime station the others don't change relative to the prime station.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Well I have tide tables too, but being able to push a couple buttons and find out where the tide is in a harbor that you are entering so you know the proper amount of scope to run is very convenient. So now after these many years we have to go back and pull tables and run calculations?

Bad planning Garmin. The least you could do is provide an update- even if it cost a few dollars. Looks like when we go shopping for the next GPS we will have to pay attention to the features that expire.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
If you're "just" a weekend sailor, the tide tables would suffice.

If you've been out for a few days, one easily gets into the "rhythm" of the sea.

Finally, a use for the rhythm method.

Oh well, just keep those aspirin between your knees.

Oct 14, 2005
1983 Hunter H34 North East, MD
NOAA Tide Tables...

NOAA discontinued the use of the tide prediciton database that it has been offering for the past number of years at the end of 2011. It could be that Garmin had been using it as its reference point and it is now no longer available.

Here is the link to the new one for Maryland's tidal prediction points:

http://co-ops.nos.noaa.gov/tide_predictions.shtml?gid=115

You should be able to change to other locations from the NOAA Home Page. The new format does three day predictions based on the date entered. It stills shows the actual numbers in tabular format on the right side of the page. At least now I don't have to dump the numbers into an Excel spreadsheet to generate the neat charts they now have!

Status
Not open for further replies.