GPS connection to new VHF

Apr 10, 2010
Catalina 310 166 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Have a 2002 Catalina 310 #166. The original vhf past on to the electronic recycling bin. Have purchased some time ago an ICOM IC-M601, which was to be a standby radio, but will now fill in as the main radio. It has DSC and I would like to use the Standard Horizon CPF 180i chart plotter which has an integral GPS with a NEMA output to provide the GPS signal to the ICOM. Due to covid 19 here in Nova Scotia my marina has barred members from working on their boats for at least 2 weeks, subject to review. Until I get back on the boat to work on this the problem, does anyone out there have any information, experience or direct knowledge of where I can connect the ICOM GPS input to the CPF 180i GPS output?? I suspect it is under the Edson pedestal, but not sure. I have emailed Standard Horizon for info on this and they have successfully ignored my attempts at communication in any form.

It is not the actual physical wiring that I need to know, the manuals are clear on the connections, but where physically (location) in the boat wiring do I make the GPS out to the GPS in connection.

Would appreciate any assistance from this forum and thanks to all as we hopefully will have some sort of boating season here on the east coast.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
You can make that connection anywhere that is convenient. The option is whether to cut the entire cable and use a bus bar, or strip back some outer insulation to expose the three wires needed for the connection. Then the next question is do you cut those three wires or do you just splice into them? That is the tough one to make. I believe you have up to 150 ft for NMEA0183. For NMEA2000 the maximum is 20ft depending on how many devices are attached to the CP with a maximum of 50 devices. But if your VHF is the only device going to be attached then I believe you can go up to 256ft.

This is JMHO based on looking at the manuals for your device. By the way, I could only find CP180i and not the CPF180i.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
does anyone out there have any information, experience or direct knowledge
Since your query truly limited the possible responses I want to provide assistance based on a few years of boating, education in VHF, AIS, Standard Horizon, and GPS electronics. I hope it is sufficient to respond under the "information" criteria.

First the Manual... CPF180i & CPF300i V16.01 Owner's Manual.pdf
And the image of the wiring for the CPF180i showing the power cord. This is what you seek to make a connection to the Icom IC-M601.

You ask where is this connection. That is a difficult question, as these wires are installed a the dealer level or the Previous Owner level for you specific boat. My best suggestion is to track the power lead from your electrical panel or the battery (dependent on how the install was accomplished). This will lead you to the red junction as indicated on the diagram below.
PNG image.png

The install had to create this junction to extract the red and black wires. At the junction are the other wires indicated in the image and identified by @Brian D (another expert in electronics). Brian indicates the type of connections that can be made. If you are lucky you could find a bus bar or connector strip. Or it could be a wire bunch with unused wires wrapped and zip tied. Do you feel lucky?

Choose the correct wires and make the NMEA-0183 connection to the Icom IC-M601
Here is the link..

Your welcome...

Apr 10, 2010
Catalina 310 166 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Thank you all who responded, the information is GREATLY appreciated. As soon as it is OK to go and work on the boat, I will be looking for those wires to make my Icom and me happy. Thanks again, Tony.

Jan 26, 2019
Catalina 30, mkI 2462 Waukegan, IL
One thing I would add is that if any of the above great information is a bit confusing, then check out YouTube. Of course the Internet can be dangerous, however you might find somebody who did similar wiring. It might help you say, "Gee, i think I can do that!".