Gouges in gelcoat

May 22, 2004
Oday 23 Bullock's Cove, RI
Mainsail - I have followed your waxing tips with great success.
Now I'd like to do a littlw repair work on my dinghy. The bottom is a bit gouged and nicked etc.
What are your receomendations/tricks etc for repairing this?

Thanks

James
Oday 23
Bullocks Cove RI

Eric M

Sep 30, 2008
Island Packet 35 Jacksonville
Assuming you are in need of a cosmetic repair vs a structural repair, I have had good success with MarineTex for repairs of small gouges in the bottom of our RIB. It drys a matte white color.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Mainsail - I have followed your waxing tips with great success.
Now I'd like to do a littlw repair work on my dinghy. The bottom is a bit gouged and nicked etc.
What are your receomendations/tricks etc for repairing this?

Thanks

James
Oday 23
Bullocks Cove RI
First you need a good gelcoat color match. I then gouge the cracks/scratches out a little bit using a Dremel to open them up and get rid of anything that could be marginally attached. This also gives "tooth"..

I then mix cabosil with the first filler layer of gelcoat. This will not change the color of the gel but makes a good "filler" to bring the scratches flush or slightly proud.. If you should sand through it, it is the same color... Very good trick...

I then use a sharp scraper or small detail files to "level" where I filled with the surrounding area BEFORE wet sanding. The old gelcoat will NOT be as hard as the new and if you try to sand away the high spots the low spots will go first. Don't make this mistake or your project will grow bigger....

Once everything is smooth I either roll on or spray on "waxed" gelcoat. I use Wax-Sol as an additive. (I buy my gelcoat un-waxed and add wax as needed).. If spraying you'll want to thin it slightly and acetone can be used. You can also use Duratec. Once cured I remove the wax with a de-waxer then wet sand and buff...

Tedious and time consuming, and if the color match is not spot on....:doh:

May 22, 2004
Oday 23 Bullock's Cove, RI
Thanks

Thanks to Maine Sail and Eric for the suggestions.

The dinghy is actually a Dyer Dhow. The bottom has a few gouges from ???? maybe the small stones/rocks etc when we land at the beach/launching ramp.

My sailing companion and I go through this every few years - fix it up/pretty it up or .... but because we leave it chained to a tree at the beach we are hesitant to make it look too attractive. This year the wood gunwale needs some attention so I am re-examining the hull scratches again and wondering if this is the year to do something.

The boat is seaworthy and a lot of fun to just putter around the cove.

Thanks for the suggestions really appreciated .... one more thing on the to-do list.

James