Got my first MMSI #

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Im heading to the NC coast for a week. This is something I do each summer but this year I purchased an AIS capable VHF

There is not a lot of commercial traffic in the outer banks but I do feel better about having the emergency call functions

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
First?? How many do you need?? Did you get the free one from boats US? DSC calling is a great way to reach out to friends but it’s a real pain to add to the vhf directory. Wish the VHF had more N2K options like to select a AIS vessel on chart plotter and either add as a buddy in VHF or do a DSC call initiated from the plotter.

Les

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Do remember to register your number and boat info with the USCG. Just becasue you are in the FCC database does not mean you are in the USCG's also.
That is so likely true. It's almost scary how different agencies don't talk to each other.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 19, 2010
Thanks guys
The vhf said it would not be able to send a distress SOS unless I program the MMSI #

I did the BoatUS but it was not free. It was $25. They said it would be registered with the coast guard so I hope that is true.

May 20, 2016
Correct I believe you must have music and gps before DSC works. But there is more to DSC than distress calls.
Les

Jan 19, 2010
Correct I believe you must have music and gps before DSC works. But there is more to DSC than distress calls.
Les
Thanks less
I look forward to getting the hang of my new VHF. I’m heading out this week so I’m in the final planning stages.

I finally worked the bugs out of my auto tiller (blown fuse) and got the mast light working (corroded lead) installed a new windex ... fixed the running lights on the trailer (another fuse) bent my new Genoa and come Monday I’m loading the cooler and heading to the coast:beer:

Jan 14, 2014
Newport Newport 28 Fair Haven, NY
I did the BoatUS but it was not free. It was $25. They said it would be registered with the coast guard so I hope that is true.
Just checked again myself, and it appears it's free for members, and $25 for non. Still worth it, for US sailors.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
@rgranger ”Les” is not less he’s more. :biggrin:
But sometimes it's 'thank less' to be Les :(.
:beer:CHEERS! And thank you Les, for being you. :clap:

Congratulation R, for your plans coming together. I'm jealous. My plans are still waiting their turn.
I am almost done with the deck on our new rental house,pic_20180609_035844.jpg then I have to grout the slate floors, fix the front stoop help Linda paint the bathrooms and hang the wainscotting and chair rail, arrange for the gas fireplace insert and is the cable company ever coming back to install under the driveway? :banghead:Oh yeah, and it's planting season and more chickens are on the way...
So YES I really am jealous:rolleyes:.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I registered with FCC - more $$ but it will populate the Canadian Databases also.
Les
Yep, FCC registration only really necessary if you will take your boat into international or foreign waters. But you have to renew it every 10 years? Then it's also a good idea to get a Restricted Radiotelephone Licence as well. USA one the the rare countries that doesn't require a licence for recreational VHF radio use. Like $75 bucks but it never expires.

Last edited:
May 20, 2016
Don’t forget the station license to go with it. More $$. Surprising how few folks have them. I have both station and restricted as I’ve read some boats have been hastled for not having them.

Les

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
If I got my MMSI number through BoatUS, is there way to register it with the CG?

Last weekend someone triggered a distress, but the CG had no information on the boat that sent it. They were asking for boats who received it for their locations so they could try to triangulate it or something. I didn’t think you could send a distress call with DSC without also broadcasting your position.

Greg

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
If I got my MMSI number through BoatUS, is there way to register it with the CG?

Last weekend someone triggered a distress, but the CG had no information on the boat that sent it. They were asking for boats who received it for their locations so they could try to triangulate it or something. I didn’t think you could send a distress call with DSC without also broadcasting your position.

Greg
IF the VHF isn't integrated with GPS there is no location data. That's why it's important to have those connections.
Ken

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
IF the VHF isn't integrated with GPS there is no location data. That's why it's important to have those connections.
Ken
I have my Chartplotter and VHF networked so gps data is avail to vhf and AIS is available to the chart plotter.