Got my Cat 30 5 weeks ago.

Sep 28, 2021
catalina 30 Great Kills
I just wanted to say hello. I just got Hull 46 w original a4 I love when people say they must have diesel.
It has one gate valve and one ball valve on pipe that needs to come out.
I m told it was year 1974. Or 1975 model.
Its hard to tell what was original and what they replaced. Raw water cooling intake and riser new.
It was in fresh water for life till now.
I ll inspect hull better when I pull her for laminate issues. I fixed deck soft spots and I m going to pull fill and redrill / bed all through deck and through hull. Pull the windows. Add backing plates.

I will say I had her out in 25 k yest and if key did not break off in ignition it would have been fine day.
i hot wired her after anchoring in lee of pier.
but in narrow home channell my jury rig fell apart engine died . We went w jib and sailed to mooring. they said. I was showing off. I failed to mention I left key in ignition and on a tack broke it off.
nothing motivates like a sandbar outgoing tide and lot of wind.
i ll have lots of questions I m sure.
Thank You in Advance.

Jun 7, 2016
Catalina C30 Warwick, RI
I did a full refit on my 1984 C30 just under 2 years ago. Made a lot of good decisions as well as a bunch of mistakes. Let me know if you have any questions, I might be able to help or point you in the right direction.

Where is your boat docked?

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
Hull 46! Out of ~6400 made that's one of the first! Cool beans.

I owned a 1980 A4 powered C-30 for 9 years or so. The A4 is smooth, simple, easy to fix, but thirsty compared to a diesel.

moyermarine is all things A4. With ethanol gas I found I could get 2-3 years out of a carb. I kept a spare on board and swapped em (and rebuilt the bad one) when they died. Moyer's (or indigo) electronic ignition is a good upgrade. Electric fuel pump is a very good upgrade as the original A4 design can leak fuel into the oil.

I solved the ignition key problem by replacing it with a switch. Fancy modern "keyless ignition" and all that.

For the benefit of any future owners, do not bed the windows with any silicone product from the home depot. I wish the previous owners of both of my boats understood that silicone sux*.

* Pro grade stuff like Dow 795 is not included in this rant.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Congratulations on your new boat.

You can avoid reinventing the wheel by doing further research and homework here:

Catalina 30 Groups Link

Subscribe at the web forum:
Catalina30 groups.io Group
*All things Catalina 30 and 309! Sponsored by the International Catalina 30 Assn IC30A. FAQs, Q&A, comments, and experiences especially fixes and modifications invited. Share with over 2200 other owners. Website catalina30.com* *Please join the International Catalina 30 Association.
or by sending an email to:
Catalina30+subscribe@groups.io

This comes from this sbo thread by weekendrken:

1992 Catalina 30

Also: www.catalina30.com

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome to the SBO Forum “glory30” from “mew York”.

Congrats on your Catalina find. Sounds like your day sail was very exciting.

“Stu’s” suggested Catalina sites will provide insight and help with the challenges that will occur in the coming years.

Share pictures of your boat. We all like checking out other boats. Especially as winter drives us inside and onto the computers.

Fair winds.