Got a used sailboat for almost nothing, a few questions on sails and rigging

Apr 19, 2020
Newport 16 Palm Harbor
Hello, I'm completely new to sailing and just bought a trailer sailor off craigslist for very cheap. Done a lot of internet research to learn more about setting it up nicely, but I've been unable to find information about my following questions. Attached are relevant pics of the boat. I have no idea what model of boat this is. Title lists it as a 16' 2" Newport built in 1974, but the cabin of a Newport 16 looks completely different (This just has a small crawl-in type cabin. Cannot find any boats online, Newport or otherwise, that match.

1.) I'm not convinced the sails are large enough. The mast measures at 22' end to end, and the sails are 17' long, creating 5' of distance between the bottom of the sail and the cabin of the boat where the mast sits, which seems like a lot. There's another several feet between the top of the cabin and the deck of the boat. This causes the boom to look high up compared to other similar boats I've seen. When the jib is raised with the tack connected to the boat, I can't raise it all the way up. The foot of the jib also seems like it would get caught up on the top of the cabin when tacking because of how low it is. Not sure if I should just raise the jib all the way up and tighten it to the point with a length of rope or something.

2.) The boom is not angled at 90 degrees with the mainsail up fully (slopes downward considerably). I'm not sure if this is just the sail's normal shape for some reason and that's how its supposed to be on the boat, if it has just stretched that much. or if something is wrong with my rigging. The boom slides up and down the rail on the mast, and I've been tightening it downwards with rope looped through that point. There is no topping lift currently, but it is my understanding that its the sail alone that holds the boom up once you raise it. It also doesn't have a boom vang on there but could make one if this would help

Any insight? Thanks

IMG-5776.jpg

IMG-5775.jpg
IMG-5772.jpg
IMG-5771.jpg

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Here's a link to info about the Newport 16:
It doesn't look like your boat.
Your boat hull looks like a pretty good sailor. The rig - not so much. The high boom is good on one hand - helping preserve your IQ. But the sail area seems inadequate. It doesn't seem to fit your boat. The insignia is for a 17' - or so it seems. ?
That's about all I've got.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Close but OP's picture shows no spreaders. But maybe you're right because I'm thinking that's not the original rig - the mast tabernacle not withstanding.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
If you add a piece of line at the tack of your jib (called a pendant) that will let your get the jib up and off of the cabin top. I'd use a small block (a.k.a. pulley) tied at the bow and raise the jib all the way up. Then using some line and that block, I'd cinch the tack down as tight as I could and cleat it off.

For the boom... Tie a line to the gooseneck of the boom to limit how high it will go up. Set that at a level that is low enough to feel right and high enough to keep it from smacking you in the head.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
My first impression when I saw the rig was that is was cobbled together. The mast with the high boom reminds me of a mizzen mast. Many mizzens have a high boom to clear the stern rail. Just an observation...

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
I can't tell you what it is, but I'm pretty sure it is NOT a Catalina 16.5. We teach in those boats, and our version is a fixed keel. They may have made a swing keel version, but the boat itself does not look right.

Have you checked for a hull identification number on the aft side of the transom, upper starboard corner? If there is a number there, you can decode it on various websites.

Apr 19, 2020
Newport 16 Palm Harbor
@SFS thank you, I had googled this number before but it didn't turn anything up. Tried it again, realized it was wrong the first time, and learned that the boat is a Watkins 17 https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/watkins-17 . The sails seem to be the originals then and should ve the correct sizing. I wonder if the mast had been replaced by a longer one and that's why the boom is so high now. And still not sure why the boom angle is so off, I'm not really sure how drastically a sail can stretch if that's the cause

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Did you get the number off of the boat or somewhere else does not look like the same boat to me.

Should be a number on the right side of the stern somewhere

Jun 2, 2004
The Watkins was built from 1971 to 1981 the boat you have looks newer.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2004
Shoots that theory down.

Second guess is it is not the original mast and it is longer than the original. Quick solution is just to not raise the main all the way up.

Measure the mast length and you probably will be able to find what the original mast length was doing some research.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
The luff has a bolt rope that has shrunken at least a foot. That’s why the leech seems so long in comparison, and why the angle at the tack is greater than 90 degrees.

If you look at the luff, The cloth is all bunched up, like a ruffle. If you release the bolt rope sewn into the luff and replace/lengthen it, the cloth along the luff should lay almost flat, without Wrinkles.

Google “shrunken bolt rope”.

Judy B
Retired sailmaker

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Obviously the seller used a Newport title to obtain registration for the Watkins. How cheap was that title paper that you purchased? Well irrespective, that mast looks too long; ascertain whether those sails are original and match their original size. The total Sail Area is reported as 145 sq. ft. ( calculate area as if a square and divide by 2 ex. let's say a sail 20' high by 10' long would equal 200sqft divided by 2 renders an area of 100 sq ft.) If they are then figure out how much would you need to cut the mast so the goose neck would fall at the desired height. When the sails are run too high it messes up the original design intended balance. As far as the boom angle the sail is showing its original age and it has shrunk and streched at different places. The addition of a topping lift from top of mast to end of boom can help control the angle.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
If you cut the mast; that's going to affect the jib, that appears to be good, considering it is a fractional rig, as well as the sailing characteristics of the boat. Looks like it's time for a new mainsail. With the cut of the new main, the boom height can then be ideally positioned to the proper height and the boom angle will be corrected also.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Was just about to post that page that JRT did. (And we both missed the fact that you had already posted it). Unfortunately, there are not a lot of actual rigging measurements on that page. Normally, sailboatdata.com has all sorts of lengths and heights given. Still, you have some good insights from the answers given above.

You said in the OP that you are new to sailing. Yet you clearly have a lot of terminology down and are using terms correctly. Do you know how to sail? Or is this a first-time-ever sort of adventure?

And before I forget, welcome to the site! I love your logon.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
not trying to be a busskill. just a heads up. that could be a stolen vessel.
just saying

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Add up what getting this boat sail-worthy before you spend another dime. These next to nothing boats can get expensive.