Got a line on a 1978 Catalina 30

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
Why is it when folks are going to sell a boat they don't even try to clean it a little bit?
Whisky Tango Foxtrot is up with the mini-fridge under the chart table? Where's the batteries? Useless traveler in the middle of the cockpit?

IMHO, and I don't know nothing, that boat is worth about $2K --- $1600 (4K lbs lead x $.40/lb scrap price) + maybe another $200 or so for the scrap value of the mast and boom + $200 or so for whatever hardware is salvageable. Minus the cost of cutting it up with a chainsaw and disposal of the rest.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
From someone that has spent the last 2 years restoring a boat..........I would reconsider this transaction. If you figure $3K for the boat then estimate what you will need to fix it up..........double that amount. Figure in the yard fees and you will end up better off buying a turn key boat that you can actually enjoy rather than being it's slave. I paid $1,900 for mine but it was in museum quality condition compared to that mold infested tub. I also have free yard fees (my backyard ;) ) I bought mine because I was actually looking for a project.....but never again. My back hurts just looking at your pictures.

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
From someone that has spent the last 2 years restoring a boat..........I would reconsider this transaction. If you figure $3K for the boat then estimate what you will need to fix it up..........double that amount. Figure in the yard fees and you will end up better off buying a turn key boat that you can actually enjoy rather than being it's slave. I paid $1,900 for mine but it was in museum quality condition compared to that mold infested tub. I also have free yard fees (my backyard ;) ) I bought mine because I was actually looking for a project.....but never again. My back hurts just looking at your pictures.

Exactly my feeling. We paid about the same for our boat over two years of work to get her in shape.

Nov 10, 2015
Hunter 336 Columbia, SC
TG & Kito, I may be crazy and stupid but I like the boat! I found out she's a 1977 model and not a 1978! Darn it! The engine runs, the sails are good and the cushions are great! So I'm going for it. I've made mistakes before, let's hope this not another. I'll clean her on the inside and take my time on the outside! She floats and sails well, I'll get my diver to clean/inspect the bottom and we'll go from there!

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
If ya like it, ya like it. I personally couldn't sail out of the harbor with the traveler where it is it'd bug me so much. Garhaurer will fix you up with one that works great on the cabintop if you send em money.

1977? What's the hull number? My 1980 is 16xx. (I can't really remember it exactly. Since I changed the main I'm not reminded of it constantly)

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
Well congrats on your purchase! At least you can sail it while restoring. Having it in a marina while restoring may add to the time it takes to finish. It's over 2 years on my renovation and it's 75 feet from my back door!. I hope all goes well.

Nov 10, 2015
Hunter 336 Columbia, SC
Hi, thanks Kito, Kermit and to everyone that took the time to chime in. I haven't written the check yet, so buyer's remorse will not be a factor until later! Haha! So I've made my decision, the seller is holding the boat until my diver cleans and inspects the bottom on Monday. Assuming all is well, the deal will be consummated and I will be the proud owner of an old Catalina 30 that needs work! Life is not without risks and so it goes. If I'm lucky, I can have some fun while doing the repairs to bring her back to life! She is nameless at this point and I am taking suggestions!

Raggedy Anne, maybe
Shabby Abby, possible

Last edited:

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
Catalina 30's are great boats but I would check to insure there is no water in the bilge that can damage the
footing of the mast in the bilge....The older boats had a block of wood supporting the mast in the bilge and
the entire cabin top can crack if this block becomes saturated with water which of course causes the mast
to lose support.. The wooden block should be replaced with something that does not draw water into it's core and weaken it.

Nov 10, 2015
Hunter 336 Columbia, SC
Jeep, I believe it is hull#572 but I could be wrong. Pat, thanks for the advice! That is probably the least of the problems, but, as they say, Rome wasn't built in a day and I will get to it!

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2012
Catalina C30 Marina del Rey
My 1977 C30 is #520. That boat looks rough but a little soap and bleach works wonders.

Nov 28, 2009
Catalina 30 St. Croix
Not sure if this is a recent posting. I have a complete Garhauser traveler for free. I am in St. Croix, USVI. Not sure what I did with the blocks. You pay shipping and it is yours. cayennita@hotmail.com.

Nov 28, 2009
Catalina 30 St. Croix
I have a 1977 hull 364. I installed a Harken traveler across the cockpit seats because I race her abd do a lot of single handed sailing. Bought the boat fir one dollar after being neglected and abandoned at her mooring. Up to 5" of coral growing on the bottom abd a foot of water inside. All fixed, hand painted, outboard engine. No instrument beyond VHF.

Apr 11, 2012
Cataina 400 MK II Santa Cruz
LakeMurry. In general I want to be positive BUT… you say the engine runs. Good. Have a mechanic check it out. I would do that before writing the check. Engine problems can be very expensive. Pretty much everything else can be fixed by a DIYer for fairly cheap. This boat will take a lot of elbow grease, but that can be fun too.

Nov 10, 2015
Hunter 336 Columbia, SC
Hey Cayennita, I just sent an email with my address just send yours and cost of shipping! I would love to have it! It may take me years but I will bring that boat back to life and she will be awesome!

Nov 10, 2015
Hunter 336 Columbia, SC
Thanks for everyone's thoughts and encouragement/discouragement! I need to know the upside and downside! So, just give it to me straight, I can take it. The way I figure it at 63 almost 64 I've only got a few good years left and they are not going to be spent rocking on the porch! With all that being said, nobody needs a money pit, for sure, but she's a beautifully designed and built boat. And given my current financial situation(I never recovered from 2008) this may be my only chance to own a Catalina 30. Consequently, I'm taking the plunge and while I may live to regret it, it goes to prove this old boy's still got some adventure(and maybe some foolishness) up his sleeve! BTW y'all, I'm still looking for a good name!

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2015
Catalina 30 Stillhouse Hollow Marina
BTW y'all, I'm still looking for a good name![/QUOTE]

FINALLY

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
Since your asking you could name her "Patricia" after my mother. Heck, I would even order the vinyl letter for you.. ;P