Got a line on a 1978 Catalina 30

Nov 28, 2009
Catalina 30 St. Croix
Some people forget the enjoyment you get doing a fixer upper. For me it is more of a hobby. Besides, spreading the expenses means you did not spend the 15-25 K all at once. Sail the boat all you can. Meet other owners and share information. Right now you are discovering all the ins and outs. I know that I will never recover hat I spent. I have sailed mine to Culebra, St. Thomas, St. John, the BVI's, spent time sleeping aboard, raced her, won a few. Sailed in races with winds over 30 knots and 8 ' seas. Not a problem, safe and only a lttle bit wet.

Nov 10, 2015
Hunter 336 Columbia, SC
Tony, you are the man! I'd love to hear more of your adventures sailing your boat! Does anyone know where I can find service/repair and/or operator manuals for a Yanmar SB12? My boat was modified to accommodate the taller engine(I believe it originally came with a Universal 5411) but I do not know when it was changed out. I forgot to ask if you have a tall rig? Mine is a standard or short rig.

Nov 28, 2009
Catalina 30 St. Croix
My Catalina hull number 364 is a standard rig. However, the boom is locked in the lowest possible position on the mast track and I cutt off most of it so that it drops lower when flacking it. I installed lazy jacks that I can lower once the main has been tied down. It uses a normal sail cover. It is a loose footed main with extra skirt material for the downwind legs. Also the foot is longer and stops one inch from the sheave when hauled out to the max. The roach is large enough that it touches the back stay when tacking or jibing. Basically, I carry more mainsail area than a tall rig with a regular main. It only has one reef.
The jib is only 125% on a roller furler led to the inside track. even when I was racing in winds over 30 knots with only four people, there was a minimun weather helm. The races we won were light air. All the boats were over 35 feet.

Nov 28, 2009
Catalina 30 St. Croix
Ybw.com is one place. I think you candown loaded for free. Also Torrensen marine.

Nov 28, 2009
Catalina 30 St. Croix
Hi, I just got back from the lake and naturally I forgot to take pictures! But I probably will go back Tuesday or Wednesday. I've been checking out what I could and there appears to be no waste outlet on the deck! However there are two water inlet holes, one port and one starboard Like I said previously I am confused! There are two tanks in the V-berth, one appears to be for water and one appears to for waste. There is another tank on the starboard side that appears to be for water but it in not connected to anything that I am aware of at this point. I had previously figured that my engine was a Universal 5411. Well that is wrong too, upon further investigation, I have discovered it is a Yanmar SB12. I had noticed that the engine "compartment" had been modified to accommodate the taller engine when I made the discovery it was a Yanmar. Does anyone know how to tell it's age? Any help would be appreciated!
My Catalina had a waste pump out at the bow since the holding tank was under the V berth. The vent line was also there.