Goosneck to Boom

Mar 25, 2023
Laguna Windrose 18 Petaluma
Hello, I am attempting to equip a Windrose 18 with the basic necessities to hit the water and make a fool of myself. The boat came without a boom or main sail. I have gotten my hands on a boom close to the original, from what I can tell and I purchased a racelite sliding gooseneck. Can someone please take a look at the photos and tell me what else is needed for this setup to function. the pin on the gooseneck slides freely in and out. Is this standard? does the vang and downhaul hold the boom to the mast keeping it from sliding off? or do I need to drill a hole to place a keeper pin that holds the gooseneck inside the boom? I am as green as it gets so any help will be greatly appreciated. I had another thread going in the ask all sailors forum that shows more pictures that could speak to this as well.
Thank you,
Future Sailor

IMG_3442[1].JPGIMG_3440[1].JPGIMG_3437[1].JPG

Oct 13, 2020
catalina C-22 4980 channel islands CA
I would drill a hole through the boom and the goose neck pin, to keep it together. Then use a long #10 screw and lock nut to hold it together. Use Tef-Gel to keep this from corroding. I don’t think I would rely on tension from the vang to hold it together.. I am sure you will gets lots of good ideas from this forum, good luck. Dano

Sep 24, 2021
Beneteau 35s5 Telegraph hrbr Thetis Island
Is your sail track big enough (and the correct shape) to accept the slider slug that is part of the gooesneck fitting?

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
I suppose you could just tie together the pad eye on the boom and the ring on the gooseneck. Or make up a short section of dynema or stainless cable with shackles on both ends to attach to those points.

You could do what danooxnard suggests but then you lose the roller furling feature.

If roller furling was not a reason for the pin style was there a reason you went with that one rather than the one with tangs that could be screwed to the boom?

It looks like your mainsail tack is going to attach to the pin on the boom rather than the shackle on the gooseneck. Is that your plan?

What's your thought on using that to keep the boom from sliding off the gooseneck pin? Maybe i'm misinterpreting the problem.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
You don't need anything to keep the gooseneck from sliding off the peg. That luff attachment will keep the boom from sliding back. The gooseneck is not going anywhere. You can use the downhaul to position the boom when rigging, once set you can tie it off to the vang's bracket, leave it and make all your on the water luff tension adjustment with the cunningham. A lot of the 70's era small sailboats didn't come with cunninghams... however it's very easy project.. 3 to 1 purchase is plenty.. so if it's not there, add it yourself.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
... I'd still like to fix the goosneck to the boom somehow.
I think so too. If It's not it may work fine once the main is raised and tight but until then there can be a lot of flopping around with good chances for the boom to come off.

The goosneck in the video Joe attached is clearly attached to the boom (rivets) and creates a secure attachment to the mast.

Mar 25, 2023
Laguna Windrose 18 Petaluma
Okay, thank you all for your input. I think im going to drill a hole all the way through and place a keeper bolt, gonna go with a 3/16 diameter (#12) bolt anything bigger and Ill be taking too much material out of the gooseneck pin. I understand that I may be fine without it but being new to this I think I'll play it on the safe side. Im not sure yet if im going to utilize the roller reefing potential of the gooseneck or not. my next task is to find a sail.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Im not sure yet if im going to utilize the roller reefing potential of the gooseneck or not.
Not is the right answer. Reefing the main by rolling it up on the boom is an idea well past it prime. Sounds good on paper, a real pain in real life. Slab reefing is simple and easy.

Oct 13, 2020
catalina C-22 4980 channel islands CA
A few thoughts on drilling the hole, I would recommend drilling through the boom with the gooseneck pin in place where you want it. once the drill is through the aluminum only drill the stainless enough to make a spot on the pin where it lines up with the newly drilled hole in the boom. Then remove the gooseneck pin and drill it, preferably with a drill press. Once you are through the stainless put it back in the boom and drill through the boom, the pin and the other side with the pin so it is all lined up. Use good quality cutting oil while drilling the stainless helps a-lot too.

It will be hard to keep the drill bit from sliding off the crown of the pin if you try to drill while it is in the boom. The soft aluminum while allow the drill bit to wander would be my concern. Use a new sharp drill bit too.

best of luck Dano

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Okay, thank you all for your input. I think im going to drill a hole all the way through and place a keeper bolt, gonna go with a 3/16 diameter (#12) bolt anything bigger and Ill be taking too much material out of the gooseneck pin. I understand that I may be fine without it but being new to this I think I'll play it on the safe side. Im not sure yet if im going to utilize the roller reefing potential of the gooseneck or not. my next task is to find a sail.
My friend... do not do that. I have experience with this type of gooseneck, or else I would mind my own business. The piston style gooseneck is designed to be left on the mast, allowing you to remove and install the boom more easily. The casting in the boom end give it more strength the pin spreads the load. The pin also allows the boom to move a little to take any stress off the hinge pin where most failure would occur. It also allows you options on rigging the sail and boom depending on conditions. I can go into more detail if you private message me.

I highly recommend that you first rig your boat with the gooseneck. boom and sails. Instead of tacking the sail to the boom, attach it to the top piece of the gooseneck. Thread the downhaul string through the lower part of the gooseneck to secure it further to the boom and use it to adjust its. height. Now it's captured even more. Once all together, it will make sense and you won't have wasted time on this.

Gonna keep this short, so if you have questions feel welcome to PM me. Just don't start drilling into that stainless steel, you'll just

Oh, and for the guy that wondered why he bought this piston style gooseneck, it's because the boom design required it.