Goose Neck

GNolan

Sep 10, 2024
Sovereign 5.0 Clarkston MI
Hello to All
I have a Sovereign 5.0. The Gooseneck casting is broken. One of the legs of the shackle that holds the Main Sail Tack. Any ideas for a Gooseneck replacement? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

P.S. I also need a Mast Step, Mast, and Sails.

Attachments

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome to SBO.
Interesting choice of boats.
Your fiberglass trailer-able boat was built in 1980. It has had several names, most prominently the Sovereign 17.
Looking for parts, you will need to widen your search.
Wiki gives you some clues.
It was sold under a variety of names, including the Sovereign 18, Sovereign 5.0, Sovereign 5M and Adventurer 17
This will be like fitting out a boat from scratch. There are no sellers of the exact parts.
You could try Dwyer Mast & Rigging - Quality Sailboat Parts and Rigging. Bring them the specifications, and they may be able to help.

SailboatData lists the original specifications.

I think you really need to decide.
  • Do I want a boat-building project?
  • Do I want to go sailing?

GNolan

Sep 10, 2024
Sovereign 5.0 Clarkston MI
Hello John,
Well, I bought the boat as is and can not sell it as is. So I need to replace some parts and correct a few things. Probably yes, a project to some degree. I like the boat. The hull and interior are in good shape. You sent me a valuable link/source for parts and I thank you for that. Dwyer has everything I need for the boat. Mast, Mast Step, Gooseneck, and most anything else I need. Dwyer inventory is impressive. The sails are worn out. Hoping someone knows of a respectable Sail Loft I can use for Main and Jib sails. A Loft with good balance between cost and quality…if there is such. A Rub Rail is on my list. I will probably salvage the original Mast. The mast is very beaten up at the foot. I may clip 8” off the bottom and splice a new piece to it. Dwyer has the Mast Section. Thank you again for your reply. Very helpful

Greg Nolan

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Hello to All
I have a Sovereign 5.0. The Gooseneck casting is broken. One of the legs of the shackle that holds the Main Sail Tack. Any ideas for a Gooseneck replacement? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

P.S. I also need a Mast Step, Mast, and Sails.
Rather than spending your life trying to find factory specific parts, take those you want to replace measure and trace them on paper to get a general idea of what can fit... then go to rigging specific companies like "Rig-Rite" and "Rigging Only". since those are fairly common parts on any brand, type and size of sailboats you may possibly find a catalogue of generic parts to replace goosenecks and tabernacles. etc. When people build their own boats, that is how they outfit it with the necessary hardware. It is far, far too expensive to design and fabricate these parts for a one off purpose... so finding a generic stock is the way to go. good luck. remember to be open minded. Once you feel comfortable knowing how your fittings should work thne it's just a matter of looking at what's on hand to make the right match. Also don't rule out salvage stores, places like Minney's in Costa Mesa/ Newport Beach in SoCal will often have all types of discontinued parts besides those stripped from damaged vessels.

• Helpful

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
:plus: A great write up @Joe.:biggrin:

eBay and social networking marketplaces may also provide a useful resource. I found a metal fuel line specifically for my engine using one. When you want to rebuild or refit a mature boat you need to be resourceful.