Good Old Boat: L25 Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 26, 2007
Lancer 25 SoCal
Good morning all. After reading the article, which is the first review I'd seen written about the L25, I submitted the following for their Mail bouy section. Steve

---------

Thank you Gregg Nestor and GOB for reviewing the Lancer 25 in the January/February 2011 edition. I was introduced to the Lancer 25 in February 2009, when my friend Duane wanted me to go along for a test sail in Castaic Lake north of Las Angeles. Duane ended up buying the 1975 model, similar to the one reviewed and I commented how much I enjoyed how she sailed...he said “I know where there's another one” and the following Friday we drove to Ramona, CA and I drove away with my first sailboat.

The differences between the three models are significant and involve more than “equipment or cabin layout.” Where the L25 has a draft of 28” both the L25 MK-IV and MK-V have a draft of 36”. Also, the ballast increased from 1200 to 1300 pounds and the displacement from 3400 to 3600 pounds. Above the water line the four portlights are replaced by six ports and one pair can be opened and I have since replaced my ports, all of which can be opened. Also, the L25 and MK-IV are mast-head rigs the MK-V is fractional and on my MK-IV there are both inboard and outboard headsail tracks and I also have a split back stay. In the cockpit the water drains into the aft lazarette for the L25, which causes water to flood the cockpit while heeled. For the MK-IV the drains are forward of the traveller and drain outboard and I've never had the cockpit flood while heeling. Where the L25 has stanchions with a single life-line the MK-IV and MK-V have dual life-lines.

On my 1979 MK-IV model there is an anchor locker large enough to accommodate both 14 and 25 pound anchors and 330' of rode. Behind a water-tight bulkhead is what I refer to as the pump locker where the head pump and deck pump-out hardware are located. This space is about 8” deep and easily accessible above and behind the head and is where I also store jackets and foul weather gear. Lancer discontinued the SS sink in the head area with the MK-IV.

In the cabin: the port berth slides inboard and accommodates “two.” My first mate is 5'2” and I'm 5'8” and we find this berth cramped, especially for the feet, and prefer sleeping in the cockpit, which I modified. With the seat cushions doubled up and a twin blow-up mattress this space is very comfortable for two. We sail in southern California and Nevada and can sleep outside most nights. There is a table that seats three on the port side and makes into a single berth. The galley arrangement is similar between yachts except I built a two-burner propane stove and don't have a refrigerator or microwave like the Scotts do aboard Bump-A-Noggin. The MK-IV has the water tank immediately below the cockpit, which I removed. I prefer to store water in 5-gallon “igloo” containers and store them in the keel area while underway and then move them to the starboard quarter berth while at anchor. This frees up the area below the cockpit to store sails. The two aft quarter-berths are similar between vessels.

To remove the foam-backed vinyl headliner and inspect electrical or deck hardware fasteners one must first remove thousands of staples and wood molding so I wouldn't consider this as “easy access” as indicated in the article. Also, the chain plate and deck SS bolts are encased in fiberglass, which isn't a good environment for SS if the seal leaks. I've removed the fiberglass surrounding the fasteners for the teak handholds and plan on moving the chain plates from inside the cabin to outside the toe rail later this year.

Besides sounding the deck for soft spots as Gregg suggested, the L25 and MK-IV have painted plywood in the lazrette and I've heard of owners who have spent a lot of resources repairing this problem. I don't have additional information about the MK-V.

For more information about Lancers or if you already own one and are looking for like-minded sailors there are 48 Lancer 25 registered owners at http://forums.lancer.sailboatowners.com/ Again, thank-you GOB for putting together an informative publication! Steve Crawford/High Desert Drifter

Status
Not open for further replies.