Good Old Boat Insurance

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Allstate will no longer will write on my 1984 boat. Real bummer as have brand new rigging and have always hauled for hurricanes and winters are spent on the hard. Anyone KNOW of other insurance companies that will insure older boats? My broker says "American Modern" will but I have never heard of them.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I have my boat insured through State Farm and it is bundled with all of my other things as well. I do know they have it under written by someone else but I was happy to let them deal with it. I just called my guy and he got back to me in a day with a number.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Try BoatUS. I’m OMG happy with them. I don’t KNOW that they can help you but it’s worth a phone call.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
If you are a member of USPS, I believe that you can obtain insurance for older boats thru McGriff, Seibels, & Williams, Inc at 1-800-937-8895 and mswmarineinsurance.com. They are my agent and have written my 1997 Hunter with Progressive Northern Insurance Co. They are part of the Progressive family of insurance companies. So you can get discounts if you bundle your car and home policies.

Oct 22, 2014
Pearson P303 #221 RockPort Maine
I have GEICO MARINE insurance. Hathaway and BoatUS are part of/consumed by Geico. They all go with "An agreed value". However, You must provide the documented proof of value above market price. Example: My vessel has agreed on value of $33,000.00 but, I have added over 10K in value to the vessel. I took a picture and provided a copy of the receipt and I'm good to go. I found the Geico great to get service too!

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I use BoatUS-Geico. When I bought the boat they insured a 22 year old boat without seeing the survey. Worth a call. FWIW, the premium for Coastal Canadian and US waters is less than 10% of AHV.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I've insured with Acadia over the years. I get a boat policy through a local company that has all our insurance. The local folks take care of the details.

Age isn't an issue except that they want a condition and valuation survey done about every 6-7 years. The last two surveys, the boats value went up quite a bit. They just write the policy to the new value(at a slightly higher rate).

I've had just one claim nearly 20 years ago, a major one (boat almost totaled due to sinking), and they're still with me. :)

Aug 7, 2018
Catalina 350 Great Sodus Bay, Lake Ontario
I use AMICA they bundled our policy for homeowners and auto it was VERY reasonable with the boat last fall, my 1983 o'day 34 with stated value $26,000 $263 per year. They are a great "a" rated company. Example: I backed into my wife's car in my driveway. $2,800 damage to her car 900 to mine. They waived the 1k deductible and fixed BOTH cars. Great customer service, also $800 less than Allstate for the exact same coverage when we switched a few years ago. Not sure if they write in Maryland

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Progressive. They went aggressively into the business. BTY my umbrella company dropped me when they learned of the 1987 boat. I had to go with "Grace R Furgeson Airline and Storm Door Company."

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Used to have my liability through Allstate- they dropped me because the boat was too old. Unfortunately they never told me that- for 3 years.
I'm now insured for $300,000 Liability, for $100 a year

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
State Farm insures our 1981 Oday 25 for an agrred upon replacement value of $6500. for about $200.00 annually

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I have Progressive.. used to have Safeco then they dropped all boats over 26 feet long.. I have heard that they are accepting bigger boats again.. You may be able to get useful help from a company like Hub where they have access to several providers.. Good Luck..

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I insured my 1988 O’Day 322 with State Farm and have my home and auto with them too.

Greg

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
BoatUS, for about 20 years. The 'next' question is often about the price. We are currently paying a bit over $700/year for Agreed Coverage of about 75K.
The followup question is usually about their payout practices... and I have not (yet) had a claim. Hope it's a good as other boaters tell me it is, if it ever comes to that.

There are Lots of other choices. I see most of them, as I help administer the proof-of-coverage insurance requirements for our club marina. Some are really cheap, but you have to have trust in them. Do your 'due diligence' and watch out for cheap policies where the fine print undercuts what you thought you were paying for.....

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
BoatUS, for about 20 years. The 'next' question is often about the price. We are currently paying a bit over $700/year for Agreed Coverage of about 75K.
The followup question is usually about their payout practices... and I have not (yet) had a claim. Hope it's a good as other boaters tell me it is, if it ever comes to that.

There are Lots of other choices. I see most of them, as I help administer the proof-of-coverage insurance requirements for our club marina. Some are really cheap, but you have to have trust in them. Do your 'due diligence' and watch out for cheap policies where the fine print undercuts what you thought you were paying for.....
Your rates are about he same as mine, ~ 10% of agreed hull value.

I've had 2 claims in 35 years with BoatUS. Both claims went smoothly. One small claim for a stolen outboard and one for a major repair after the boat was blown off its jack stands.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
I believe that you mean't to say one percent. And yup, that's about the industry average. Sorry you needed to use the insurance but real glad to hear that they came thru for you.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC

BoatUS paid my claim for electrical damage. My deductible was $500 but they reduced that amount substantially since I had not had a claim with them. I’m a huge fan of theirs.