Good day, Sailors. Charter question about berths

gtg

Sep 12, 2019
Catalina, Hobbie 22, 16 Windycrest
Weighing my options on a possible trip to the BVI. The only space left on a 45' catamaran is a the "BERT" or Crew Cabin. One is a gear locker the other is a "bunk". Has anyone stayed in this type of room to give me some insight to what to expect? I guess there is a bunk bed and the entry is from the top through a hatch? The space was also referred to as "the quarters are 'spartan'". I would be on the boat 5 nights.

Attachments

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Doesn't look comfortable. At anchor you will probably get a lot of water noise, ventilation will be from an overhead hatch, which when closed for a squall (and they happen quite a few times during the night) will leave you in a little stifling triangular box.
It's your money and vacation, but anybody so hard up for money that they'd take yours by putting you in that hole, isn't someone I'd charter with. Not that we are working now, but we've a 53 footer and only take two passengers, because comfort and a good time for our guests is much more important than the money we'd make cramming six adults plus two crew aboard, though it is done all the time.
It should be labeled berth, but someone messed up.

Jul 29, 2004
Hunter 340 Lake Lanier, GA
I spent a week on a Oceanis 500 during a ASA bareboat class 24 years ago (!) claiming the forepeak cabin for privacy. Not too bad if you are young, solo and there is not a head in that compartment. I would hope whoever is organizing a by the cabin charter gives a substantial discount compared to the inside cabins and use it for sleeping and gear storage only.

On the charter cats, usually one forepeak cabin has one or two berths bunkbed style, and the other one has a head and sink, and a fold down single berth.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Reminds me of somewhere I read the origin of the word Forecastle or Foc'sel: Short for that cabin in the vee that was dirt cheap and so cramp that the sayng originated as "Folks'l do ANYthing to save money".

If you are not going as crew, it should be allowed you to sleep in the cokpit. I've been on 5 Island charters, and those stary nights are a fond memory.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
We chartered on a Moorings 45 20 years ago And we sleep in the v-berth of our h27.

If the bunk is comfortable, I’d probably go for it!
We slept in one of the main cabins with the hatch open for air every night. Don’t remember shutting the hatch for rain at night. We did secure it underway, and in a couple of daytime showers.
A 45 foot cat is very stable at anchor, especially in a protected anchorage as most of them are. So bouncing and water noise are probably not a big deal.
If there is a problem, you could easily sleep in the main cabin or aft deck - and I bet you could be assured of this alternative ahead of time.
You will need agreed access to a head. My memory is that all 4 of the heads were in the 4 large suites.

these cats are huge. Plenty of good places to be by yourself if you want to get away from others For a while.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Spartan is the key word. The area is designed for someone who is being PAID to be there, not PAYING.

Expect a single berth and a toilet. A sink if you're lucky. And a ladder to climb straight up to the hatch above. Oh, no AC. Here is picture of the NICEST one I've ever seen, on the new First 53.

Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 12.03.55 PM.png