Good Cruise from Lake Pontchartrain to Mississippi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 17, 2009
Catalina 30 Mandeville, Louisiana
Photos from past Mandeville to MS trips

I had no idea there were so many people interested in the same reason I got into sailing. We bought our CAT30 in Biloxi with minimal experience in August of 2009. My son and I paid a young man to give us onboard training in route home in Mandeville, LA.

We completed a 5 day trip in April: Mandeville to Slidell, anchored at Cat Island, past by Ship Island, caught a king mackerel, anchored at Horn Island, dragged an archor in the dark during a storm, repositioned anchor in the dark, surveyed multiple challenges, went through the Rigalets in the dark, and headed home. Great memories with my son!

A friend of mine from Houston and I completed a 5 day trip in October: Mandeville to Rigalets Marina under a perfect wing to wing, anchored at Cat Island and headed to Ship Island for a closer look. We had trouble starting the engine and ran aground. Swam to the beach, got a BP work crew to help pull us off the sand bar and headed to Pass Christian. We set the AutoPilot at a whooping 1 knot. We had plenty of time to trouble shoot and find the melted wire on the glow plug wire. As we were heading into port early, we realized that we still had refreshments that needed to be cleared before returning, so we had to tack one more time.

All three trips were great, challenging, and learning experiences. We saw plenty of dolphins and pelicans. Now I am in the process of rebuilding multiple parts of new engine. Learning fast and if interested I am posted several times under engine repairs. I enjoyed all of the comments and would enjoy posting more of my trips. I will post more photos if these make it to the site.

God willing, I plan at least 2 trips a year heading EAST to the islands.

Attachments

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
sweet torture!!! beautiful pix--i miss it there soo much! i almost thought i saw crab pot buoys in that hwy 90 bridge pic......GOOOOOOOOOODD fish!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.