Good boat shoes for the "elderly"

Oct 1, 2013
Beneteau 423 Mystic
I've been using some of the Sperry H2O series with great results. It's more of a 'sneaker' lace up style. My latest pair is on their 3rd season and they are like new. They were perfect for the Figawi this past weekend ... a lot of water on the deck and no slipping and sliding on my part; can't say the same about some of the other crew. I only wear them on the sailboat, and change to my ol' topsiders, etc. when ashore.

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
I have a pair of Teva sandals. Look a little like a Sperry, but like sandals. And they are better than the top siders IMHO

Apr 8, 2010
Frers 33 41426 Westport, CT
I've had a couple pairs of these http://www.salomon.com/us/product/techamphibian-3.html that I've enjoyed having, always had really good grip until I did a chemical soak on the first pair to try and remove a very pungent odor they eventually developed. Tossed them in the trash and bought another pair.

As for Top Sliders, http://www.sperry.com/en/sea-kite-sneaker/11031M.html I've had this pair for a several years now and surprisingly they actually still have really good grip and soft rubbery soles... I'm sure it wasn't intentional for Sperry to turn out a pair that lasts more than 1 season, but they actually do... I know several other people that wear the same ones as well, same story, bought them 'cause they were cheap at west marine, and 2-4 years later they are surprisingly still wearing them.

Mcgray

Dec 24, 2014
pacific seacraft 31 cape canaveral
WOW, where have you folks been. Keen sandals, slip ons, lace ups etc. are the best boat shoe. Water proof, non marking soles, toe bumper to prevent hitting deck hardware and sooooo comfortable. Learned about them about 12 years ago and have not worn anything since. You can hike in them, even run a mile, stand all day in comfort, and nap while off watch. Had tried the usual shoes talked about above, but the are the BEST.

Feb 9, 2009
2 26 Lake Tahoe
I love my Propets. I first met them on a shoe store website, but now buy them via my Amazon Prime account. Usually free express shipping and frequently free returns if I screwed up on size. They tend to offer hard to find sizes too.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
WOW, where have you folks been. Keen sandals, slip ons, lace ups etc. are the best boat shoe. Water proof, non marking soles, toe bumper to prevent hitting deck hardware and sooooo comfortable. QUOTE]
Met a cruiser in the Bahamas and that's what he wore. One day we took the dinghy's to the market and while he waded ashore he felt it get stuck in the muddy bottom. Since there was some broken glass nearby he didn't grope around too much to find it. It didn't float to the top either. After our shopping was done he went back with a boat hook and dug around for an hour. He didn't find it and looked so sad for many days. Must be a nice shoe but it's beyond what I budget.

All U Get

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
I've tried most all of them, but the pair that I prefer the most for secure topside work is these with white soles:

http://www.swimoutlet.com/p/speedo-mens-surfwalker-pro-30-water-shoes-8135910/?color=11186

Keep in mind I purchased mine at Goodwill for next to nothing, never been used, still had the original tags attached. They grip like glue, comfortable, easy on the feet, dry quickly when wet. But of course they are designed to be worn poolside where water is always present.

Oct 13, 2010
Macgregor 26X trailer/all over
I'm more along with the Teva writer, only several years ago I got a pair of Keen sandals with a covered toe and I much prefer them. They protect the toes a bit, dry fast, soles don't soak up a lot of water and leave squishy tracks all over, and don't slip. Can be had on sale, run $80.00 and on up, but will amortize out to a value. Not a slip on, but they go off and on awfully easy.

Dec 25, 2014
Catalina 27 Pasadena, Md
I found these at the boat show about 2 years ago, I am very hard to find shoes for as I have wide feet, https://www.olukai.com/nohea-mesh.html but after buying a pair and using them for daily use, I went back and bought 2 more for everyday use. I walk on average 3 to 4 miles a day at work, and these are maybe the most comfortable shoes I have ever owned. Just one word of caution to the OP, these have fold down heels to use as sandals, made a REAL bad mistake and used them that way this last Saturday when loading the boat for a weekend trip, make sure the heels are up when carying a cooler full of food onto the boat, I left them folded down as sandals and ended up with the following, keep the heels up when stepping across the dock to the boat. Thankfully there was no one with a camera or I might have ended up on AFV or similar. Will be remembering that for a few weeks at least.
Bob

Attachments

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
. Just one word of caution to the OP, these have fold down heels to use as sandals, made a REAL bad mistake and used them that way this last Saturday when loading the boat for a weekend trip, make sure the heels are up when carying a cooler full of food onto the boat, I left them folded down as sandals and ended up with the following, keep the heels up when stepping across the dock to the boat. Thankfully there was no one with a camera or I might have ended up on AFV or similar. Will be remembering that for a few weeks at least.
Bob
Ouch, that's not funny. Getting old has its price.

All U Get

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
First off I'll make a personal statement, Cricks are not allowed on my boat. Since I can't go fast, the boat must look good and I personally can't stand the look of crocks. Despite the many claims of comfort and reliability I simply can't stand the look and so have outlawed them from my boats. For those who love them and can get past the ugliness more power to you, I just have not been able to do it.

Now that being as it is, Sperry used to make a nice sandal, very simple, very cool to wear and made a great deck shoe. when on the boat. I went through about 4 pair before they quit making them and so, I spent this winter looking for a replacement. I'm now back to a pair of teva's. I need a shoe that works on the boat, and can get wet at the drop of a hat. These should work great.

Now all of the above is a personal opinion. Shoes are a personal item that everyone has to choose their own fit, form and function. My boat shoes are the same, grey or white bottom, as little topside material as possible. with the ability to get wet and still function while staying comfortable the whole time.

Good to see the discussion.

Have fun
I have been wearing this style Crocs for years. Once I wear the soles smooth, they get relegated to the house for yard work, but they grip well, and last well, Plus super comfortable .

WOW, where have you folks been. Keen sandals, slip ons, lace ups etc. are the best boat shoe. Water proof, non marking soles, toe bumper to prevent hitting deck hardware and sooooo comfortable. Learned about them about 12 years ago and have not worn anything since. You can hike in them, even run a mile, stand all day in comfort, and nap while off watch. Had tried the usual shoes talked about above, but the are the BEST.
I have a pair of Keens as well, Great shoes but a little heavy for me for sailing. Have you tried to swim with your keens on? They're built like tanks, and I love them for hiking, but for swimming they can't compare. I have these.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Good thread. Made me go look at what I have to wear. Turns out I have 1 pr of Teva sandals which I keep on the boat for those days I escape work early. My main boat shoes are Teva sandals much like the Keen sandal show above. Wear it to, on and home from the boat. My 3rd pair of knock around sandals were my first boat shoe and are WM. The Teva's have held up better.

Nov 14, 2013
Catalina 30 MkI 1983 TRBS Westbrook, CT
I'll put in a vote for Keens with enclosed toes as well, also have a pair of Harken boat sneakers and I get a pair of Sebago Clovehitch every year or two. Between the three I can usually find something that fits the weather and conditions.
As for Crocks? Sorry, I just couldn't resist. (Flame retardant suit is on.:)

20140507_171109_dihfhfb.jpg

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
I wear the olukai paddle board shoes also. They are just enough to avoid debilitating toe crunches and they stick like glue to the deck, wet or dry. They also are meant to get wet and they dry pretty quickly. I can't say how long they will last as I only purchased them last year but they seem unphased by the current level of use which does not include any time off the boat.

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
I use Helly Hansen deck shoes. They are basically sneakers but you stick to the deck like Spiderman.

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe
Keen makes some nice canvas shoes too. I have a pair of Coronado slip ons that are going on about six years. Those are no longer made, but there are others, all non marking with good grip. Just bought a pair of Santa Cruz. I use Keen H2 for sailing on our sunfish.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
I had the same luck with the leather top-siders....purchased a pair of the Sperry tennis shoe style about a year ago...actually, they are canvas and look like Keds, but they are very slip resistant and much more comfortable than the std. boat shoe.
The sole is very non-slip, even when wet....also, they dry quickly if wet, and are much more comfortable than the std. boat
shoe...I bought them at Dillards. Pat