good, bad, and ugly

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
A shout out to McMaster Carr for amazing customer service. I am replacing some old mismatched ball valve/thru hulls with real seacocks and wanted to use G10 material for the backing plates. What is really good is I ordered it mid afternoon Tuesday and received it before noon today (Weds.). Also good is you can get a 6x6 sheet or a 12x12 sheet. Now 6x6 is 36 sq. inches while 12x12 is 144 sq. inches, so over four times as much material for less than twice the cost! A 6x6 will make one backing plate, a 12x12 will make 4.

What is bad and ugly? Another distributor sells individual bronze flat head machine screws. I needed 6 for two seacocks so I ordered them plus a couple spares in case of mistakes. When I went to order the nuts and lock washers I found minimum order quantities of 100 washers and I think 50 nuts and these are pretty expensive items each. Why would they sell individual screws but not the nuts and washers? So back to McMaster Carr where the minimum order was like 25 so I ordered them thinking I have two more through hulls to do in the future so I won't have too many extras for spares or to donate to a worthy cause. The nuts and washers arrived in less than 24 hours also and I didn't ask for rush shipping.

Here's a shot of the garolite with one circle laid out for cutting. My protractors are at the boat so I used the old calculus method of approximating a circle by a series of straight lines, not too bad for shaky hands.

Attachments

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
A shout out to McMaster Carr for amazing customer service. I am replacing some old mismatched ball valve/thru hulls with real seacocks and wanted to use G10 material for the backing plates. What is really good is I ordered it mid afternoon Tuesday and received it before noon today (Weds.). Also good is you can get a 6x6 sheet or a 12x12 sheet. Now 6x6 is 36 sq. inches while 12x12 is 144 sq. inches, so over four times as much material for less than twice the cost! A 6x6 will make one backing plate, a 12x12 will make 4.

What is bad and ugly? Another distributor sells individual bronze flat head machine screws. I needed 6 for two seacocks so I ordered them plus a couple spares in case of mistakes. When I went to order the nuts and lock washers I found minimum order quantities of 100 washers and I think 50 nuts and these are pretty expensive items each. Why would they sell individual screws but not the nuts and washers? So back to McMaster Carr where the minimum order was like 25 so I ordered them thinking I have two more through hulls to do in the future so I won't have too many extras for spares or to donate to a worthy cause. The nuts and washers arrived in less than 24 hours also and I didn't ask for rush shipping.

Here's a shot of the garolite with one circle laid out for cutting. My protractors are at the boat so I used the old calculus method of approximating a circle by a series of straight lines, not too bad for shaky hands.
not a thing wrong with that at all good work......as for bronze bolts you can go to.... Bolt Depot.... and get exactly what you need.......

regards

woody

Jul 21, 2013
Searching for 1st sailing boat 27-28, 34-36 Channel Islands, Marina Del Rey
I ordered from McMaster Carr at 11:00 AM and had screws on my doorstep at 5:00 PM, I too did not ask for rush. :)

Dec 28, 2009
Macgregor M25 trailer
McMaster is very good, I order from them alot for work and 99% of the time it is overnight, just a few times when they don't have it in stock in NJ and have to bring it in from Chicago.

Just courious why the circles, it would be much easier to do straight cut, squares, in that tuff stuff.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
The old wooden ones in the boat are squares. I think the corners will create high stress areas so a circle will probably be better. Picture taking a saw and just cutting off the corners of the square tangent to the circle to make an octagon. Then all that's left is very small corners to grind off with a belt sander or maybe a bench grinder. Not much more work to get a circle. A drill press with hole saw is easier but this is cheaper.

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Hey jibes. McMaster sells holes saws cheap. Bought a bunch for YOT restoration. Cheap enough to do the job with plenty leftover considering they were cutting glass.