Gonna ship my 340; need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John McGrath

I'm shipping my 340 from Portland, Oregon to Punta Gorda, Florida late this summer and need sage advice. I need recommendations on reliable boat yards at both ends and a trucking company. I have had Schooner Creek recommended for Portland, but have no actual knowledge of how good they are. I'm also talking to American Boat Carriers (Hunter uses them) for the transportation. Can anyone tell me their experiences, good or bad, with either? Or recommend alternatives? Also I have no idea about which boat yard in the Punta Gorda area to use. I figure someplace from Charlotte Harbor down to Ft Myers would be best. I need somebody who can re-commission the boat including properly tuning the BandR rig, painting the bottom, and putting it in the water for me. Can I get your opinions on who you would trust with your own boat? :) If you have comments you'd rather not post here please email me at jmcgrath@teleport.com Thanks, John

F

FP

Call Insurance broker

Call your insurance and find out what needed to transport your vessel and keep it insured and find out when they will cover your boat in Florida, Some companies have strict rules about hurricane season

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Schooner Creek

Hi John! Schooner Creek has a good reputation and would be a fine choice for your needs. It's right by I-5 so they won't have to travel far to get on the highway! We had a boat trucked from Houston to Portland last year and used Moger Yacht Transport. They were very professional, very reasonably priced and (most importantly) on time on both ends! Their # is 800-533-7527 (located in CA). As far as the FL end goes, can't help much there. If nobody here has any suggestions, I think you should go to Cruising World's Bulletin Board and ask some of the locals there (I know there are TONS of folks from FL there). LaDonna

B

Bob Carlton

I agree

With LaDonna and the post regarding insurance. I had Schooner Creek recommission a 28' Catalina which I bought and had transported from the midwest. Schooner Creek did a great job and also repaired some minor damage to the mast which occurred during transportation (in fact, they came in several hundred bucks under the estimate). Make sure you and your carrier have insurance coverage sufficient to cover the replacement cost of your boat. In my case, the carrier's insurance paid for the mast damage. Also, if possible, be present when they load and unload and take lots of pictures of your boat and the mast after it is loaded on the truck and, if possible, before it is unloaded. That way if there is damage to the boat or mast, you can hopefully avoid the finger pointing between the 2 yards and the carrier. Good luck.

J

John McGrath

Called the insurance company

I have taken the advice on calling my insurance company (West Marine). They informed me that while my boat would be covered if it was trailered, that it won't be covered when moved by a commercial shipper. The logic escapes me, but it means I need to check out the shipping company's insurance policy. I also found out my insurance will more than double once I've moved the boat to Florida. Ouch! It sounds like Schooner Creek can be relied on to do a good job. Now I just need to find a good boat yard in SW Florida... Suggestions? :) Thanks, John

H

herbie

American Boat Carriers

John: Last year I had American Boat Carriers move my 40.5 from Charleston, S.C. to Huron, Ohio. They were very helpful with supplying information on how to prepare the boat for shipment. They were on time and I had no problems to deal with when the boat arrived in Ohio. And yes, I would use them again. Herbie s/v white satin

B

Bob Robeson

Moving a boat

We bought a boat in San Diego, had it moved to Portland Oregon. While the cost to decommission and transport was not bad, less than $2500, the cost to recommission was horrible. When the boat arrived at Portland, the truckers damaged the mast, then the riggers said it needed new standing rigging, and the antenna was bad, then the wiring was old, and so on. When I was done, I had spent thousands above what the insurance paid to get our boat back. I now have the boat, with all-new rigging, mast, wiring, halyards, etc. which has raised the value of the boat, but I still wish we could of found a local boat. I was a 1986 Catalina 36 and we had it shipped to the Catalina store (Sailboats of Oregon) that recommissioned it. If yours is a Hunter, send it to a shipyard or dealer that deals with hunters, at least they are failure with your boat. Good luck Bob Emerald Oddysea C-36 #586

J

John McGrath

recommissioning

Bob's post points out I definitely need to get an estimate on recommissioning expense at the far end. I bought my Hunter 340 through Sailboats of Oregon. They *used* to be the local Hunter dealer, also. But, my experience prevents me from seriously considering them for shipping my boat. (It sounds like Schooner Creek is my answer in Portland.) It also makes me anxious to find a boat yard in Florida I can rely on. Thanks, John

Status
Not open for further replies.