Gone to the dark side ...:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2005
Catalina 30 Banderas Bay, Mexico
I've gone to the dark side ... I've become a power boater.

Sometime next year, I may put C30 Hull #10 up for sale. Much of the boat is in better than new condition, over $90,000 USD spent lovingly over the last 2 years. From the keel bolt to the masthead everything is new or refurbished. Awlgrip paint professionally sprayed on topsides and deck. All deck hardware including ports removed, mast step rotten wood removed and deck rebuilt, new lewmar ports P&S ... all new Marlon Seacocks ...

The list is endless. I still have to finish the interior before she is showroom perfect. During this labour of love (I could have bought a new 309) I discovered two things, I don't hate powerboats, and my wife is happier on a power boat than she was on the sailboat.

I was going over the C30 to make sure she was ready to sail from Vancouver to Mexico ... I no longer have that goal for the boat, so I may be willing to let her go.

The average selling price of C30's is 26-27k with older boats like mine selling for 10-15K, I know I'll never get even half of what I've spent. She has two things that make her more valuable to me and less valuable to a broker, she still has the original Atomic 4 gas engine, the compression is perfect and I converted it to fresh water cooling while it was out for the keel repairs. She is also tiller steered.

I don't know why I'm sharing this before I make the decision to sell her, she has been my faithful partner since 1995 and I have very mixed emotions about a divorce.

What would you do?

Cheers,
Randy

jfp737

Jul 10, 2006
Catalina 30 Tall Rig Milwaukee
Randy-
Why not keep her? (the boat, not the wife) It sounds like you may not get much in return for your investment. Depending on what you had in mind for a power boat, maybe you could spend a little less and still afford to keep both boats. Of course, your slip fees and storage costs will double, but you can justify the increased cost by the amount of gas you'll be saving every time you sail or don't take the power boat out.
Good luck,
John

Oct 25, 2005
Randy-
Why not keep her? (the boat, not the wife) It sounds like you may not get much in return for your investment. Depending on what you had in mind for a power boat, maybe you could spend a little less and still afford to keep both boats. Of course, your slip fees and storage costs will double, but you can justify the increased cost by the amount of gas you'll be saving every time you sail or don't take the power boat out.
Good luck,
John
We did. Befana C30 #10 is here in Mexico ... doing what she loves ... sailing.

She came south on a ship from Victoria BC and was unloaded in Manzanillo just in time to sail north to Vallarta on the edge of a hurricane.

This was December 4th ... we were leading the race on corrected time when the crew of a 45 foot Cat shot this video: Taking names

All is right with the world!

Mar 8, 2009
Catalina 22 Kemah,Texas
I'd give the boat to a needy person like myself. When I get a catalina 30 I will donate my beloved catalina 22 to someone who will sail her often and treat her like a lady.

Jul 1, 2004
Catalina 30 Atlanta GA
Hey Randy, you did not say what kind of powerboat your interested in transitioning to. What could make you happier after all the work you did? If I spent that kind of money on refurbishment, I would not let her go. At a minimum, the money and sweat equity placed in hull #10's refurbishment is deserving of a place of honor in the Catalina Sailboat Museum (geez, does one exist?!). I am sure the folks at Catalina would be interested in hearing the story of #10 coming back to life. Tell me, if you found a rare and early Porsche 356 Speedster and dumped a small fortune in it to get it back to concours condition, would you drive it a few blocks and then give it away? Nuts!!!!

Going to a powerboat is not the "darkside" for transitioning sailors. We have decided that in time a Trawler might serve our needs better for living aboard, doing the Great Loop or just ICW exploration. We have spend months researching and looking at different models; however, we are always drawn back to sailing.

Its the fortune you put into the refurbishment of #10 and your willingness to let go of this classic probably at a great loss, that is disturbing. Perhaps you might feel better served if #10 was not sold but placed in trust (on-loan) to a reputable institution like the Sea Scouts for loving care until you realize that the wind in your hair is not a result of those billowing sails but those gas engines pushing you from the rear!

Good luck

Bob
'88 Mark II
Lake Lanier

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Randy,

I can tell by your post you love sailing. You probably wont be satisfied powering around. There is an intrinsic value in working at something. How did they put it in a recent survey on SBO, is it the journey or destination that you enjoy the most.

I thought I wanted to move up to a bigger boat (C34/C35) someday but after working so hard upgrading her I am loving her more each season. As I get older I keep thinking I don't want the bigger boat. You'll be heartbroken seeing her sail away.:cry:

Bob

Oct 25, 2005
I just added more love to Befana. Two new Raymarine instruments. :)

I find myself looking at the Sabre 42 Express as the party bus, and Befana is my friend and lets have fun partner.

There is something to be said for 850HP and all the bells and whistles, but going sailing just for the hell of it have value beyond words.

I get to go out tomorrow and check calibration ... hours of mucking about with the boat. If I've learned anything, since I started this thread it is that I'm happier having a sailboat. The thought of being without kept my from actually acting towards selling her. She is probably my last sailboat ... I don't want anything bigger, and I don't want two sailboats. When Befana is 70 I'll be 87 ... we enjoy each other.

Jan 6, 2010
Hey man,
I don't know if your still reading your thread but there is NO DARKSIDE. Boating is boating. I'm lucky cause my friends all have power boats. I use theirs for spearfishing & line fishing. They use me for sailing. It'a all good........
captnron

Oct 25, 2005
Hey man,
I don't know if your still reading your thread but there is NO DARKSIDE. Boating is boating. I'm lucky cause my friends all have power boats. I use theirs for spearfishing & line fishing. They use me for sailing. It'a all good........
captnron
No worries!

The sailboat stays.

The powerboat is the party bus and will see fewer hours this year until we take it from Mexico to Canada for the Summer. 2500 miles up the left coast in a C30 at 4-5 knots vs 2500 miles at 8-25 knots ... :)

The roller furling is coming off the boat this week, I'm going back to hanks. Befana will get a new 150% Genoa as a "Welcome to Mexico" gift. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.