Goiot Manual Windlass

Jul 13, 2009
Parker Skipjack 37 Clearwater
I bought a used Beneteau 1990 41s5. ANchor locker is a mess! There is a Goiot manual windlass-- thrown in there with about 20ft very rusty chain crudley fastened to a 5/8 nylon 3 strand rode and a very old 35# plow anchor. the front lid of the anchor locker lid has a gap which i suppose is for the chain/rode to slide through to the roller??? Evidently this is planned to be used with anchor locker lid open??? The roller furler is also in there. Any suggestions to how to fix this mess?? I was thinking " get a Fortress 37 and hang it from the Bow pulpit fastened to a rode of 20ft ss chain + 5/8 8 plait 100ft nylon . Will the Goiot pull the 8 plait nylon? Anyone here have this situation??

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
I owned one of those years ago. My wife hated it so I replaced it with an Ideal electric windlass. That came after we tried to recover in a crowded anchorage in 20 kts.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
the front lid of the anchor locker lid has a gap which i suppose is for the chain/rode to slide through to the roller???
Yes, the rode stays in the locker and when the lid is closed the rode goes through the gap. Works well but in a seaway water will get into the locker. There should be a drain at the bottom.

Evidently this is planned to be used with anchor locker lid open???
While setting and retrieving the anchor, yes. Putting the windlass in the locker keeps it drier.

The roller furler is also in there
Putting the roller furler below the deck allows the use of deck sweeping genoas.

get a Fortress 37 and hang it from the Bow pulpit fastened to a rode of 20ft ss chain
Check with Fortress on chain length. Because it is a light aluminum anchor too much chain will cause the shank to sink into soft bottoms before the anchor sets. If I recall correctly, they suggest 6-10 feet of chain.