Going up to masthead on Hunter 356

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Been to the top of our 60+ foot mast to do this and that. First time up was with the windlass. The others were winched up using the main halyard. Always with a backup using the spinnaker halyard. Used the shackles on both lines, but also tied a backup lanyard in the unlikely event the shackle failed. When we used the windlass it required a jerry rig using turning blocks as our windlass is below deck level.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Unless you plan to sell your boat within a short time, upgrade the housetop halyard winches. We got by for decades with the stock #30 ST, and last year replaced both of ours with new 40ST winches (when WM had their spring 2-for-1 sale). Hoisting the main or jib is not much different, but hoisting a 200# crew person up is a lot easier. And then, it was about time to replace all the clutches anyway...

Opinion: the easier it is to sail your boat, the more often you will do so. :cool:

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
we had a beautiful handmade bosn chair w a padded comfy wooden seat and pockets in the canvas of the set sides where we could put some tied-on tools. we hoisted using the windlass. 2 lines, 1 a halyd one a dedicated safety 60m mountain climber rope. i always carried up a small ditty bag on a block and 100 ft light line, because i always for got a tool or bolt or something that needed to be hoisted up to me from the deck hands manning the winch and safety halyd. .

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Just replaced wind transducer and old days had 2 guys on winch but thanks to WM bogo electric
winch so easy and use spinnaker as backup and topping lift to raise me up.
2007 H-36
Nick
Also added TV antenna

Jan 26, 2019
Catalina 30, mkI 2462 Waukegan, IL
Hi Tom,

I have been up my friend's H376 stick multiple times for annual inspections and service. Going aloft must be done as safely as possible, and when done so, can be a rewarding experience. Take a camera for "sightseeing photos" after the work is done!

1. I don't think anyone mentioned--I always felt there was a small chance of toppling out of the chair. So, I tied ONLY the primary to the chair. I tied the backup to "me". More specifically, I bought an inexpensive rock climbing harness and wore it. Before I had the harness, I used a deck safety harness. The deck harness was NOT suited to the job. However, it can arrest a very short fall (so keep safety line slack-free) and prevented serious injury.

2. On a fractional rig, some halyards cannot serve as backup for the last 10 feet or so. On the 376, the spin halyard exits the mast 10' short of the top. Make sure your primary and secondary can BOTH protect you at the top.

3. Some additional tips
Yes, help the grinders. There were fat shrouds all over the place on a 376 rig that I could grab and pull (uppers, intermediates, lowers--oh my). They were easier to grab than the mast. Do so to ease lowering also.

Electric grinding assistance is OK, but it complicates things. I wouldn't go out and buy anything, but I'm old-fashioned. You should have multiple folks assisting anyways for safety. They can take turns grinding if you do not have The Hulk as crew.

Usually we used the main halyard and full diameter topping lift as some combination of primary / backup. When one was not available, then we used one of those as the primary, and the spin halyard as a backup.

In the above situation (AND THIS IS A HANDY TIP FOR A LOT OF SCENARIOS)-- I brought 20' of line with me. When the spinnaker halyard no longer protected, I tied a prusik knot around the mast, and then to my harness. This knot can be shimmied up the mast a foot at a time as you ascend.

+1 to justsomeguy for double figure eight suggestion. Bowline works also but I feel like double eight weakens line less (all knots reduce strength of your rig).

Learn the prusik. Not that you will use it for your project, but, it's easy and handy. It can also be used at the masthead to fashion a step to achieve a higher working platform than a halyard allows.

+1 nveater--do NOT use shackles.

I hear concerns about reaching around to front of mast from a position behind. In my experience with Hunter mastheads, I could kind of roll around to the front, or at least lean and look to the front, to see it. Then, I could disconnect anemometer by feel / semi-blind. Then swing around again and look--there are often little notches in the hardware that have to align. That said, each wind rig might be installed differently. Do a good inspection while you are up there and maybe change nav lights while you are at it.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
For what it’s worth, rock climbing facilities will not certify you if you tie on with a bowline. The ones I’ve been at say a double bowline is acceptable but a figure 8 follow-through is recommended as it’s equally secure and easier to inspect. In theory a bowline can unravel when loaded and unloaded repeatedly. I’ve never seen that happen to my dock lines, and mast climbing is probably more static than rock climbing where you’re bouncing up and down. But still I’d stick with whatever is most secure.

Nov 24, 2014
Catalina 310 Staten Island
I need to go up to the top of my Hunter 356 mast to replace the wind instrument transducer. I have a bosuns chair and tool bag. Planning on dropping roller furling main and using the relatively new spectra main halyard bowlined to chair, and using the backup halyard which is commonly used as the boom topping lift, as a backup. Main halyard goes to one jib sheet cabintop winch with backup halyard/safety on the other. One person on each winch. It's a fractional rig, mast clearance height is 58', and I weigh just under 100kg. Advice, comments, thoughts? Thanks all
Try eating at my ex-wife's home before attempting this. In two weeks you will weight just under 100 POUNDS