GOBI got me again! (God of Boat Idiots)

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
So..... I replaced my Raymarine wind instruments this summer. Worked great, for a week. Then wind speed stopped displaying on the I60 display. Direction and all other functions working.
So..... My boat is almost 20 years old and I decided that the wind sensor mount at the masthead might be "suspect" or the wiring. So I dropped the ma$t and rewired everything. Still no wind speed. Yes, wind direction displayed well. My wallet is lighter.
So..... For test, I hooked up a spare wind sensor, using the old (removed) wiring/base and everything was the same as the (new) masthead wiring installed. Still no wind speed.
So..... I decided the I60 display head must have failed shortly after installtion, and I sent it back for warranty repair.
So.... today I received an email from the Raymarine tech, as follows:
"Hi Larry, I am testing your I60 wind display for “speed not functioning” but there is no problem with the display (last picture).
When I first power up your unit, it was in VMG/True mode (first picture), It shows 3 dashes because I do not have speed through water in the network.
When I got out of VMG but still in True mode, I still shows 3 dashes for speed, same reason, it needs to have speed through water for it to work.
So, either you do not speed through water in you system (network), or the masthead transducer is not working on the speed portion.
I will return your unit today, please contact me with any question."

:banghead:
My speed transducer is laying in the bilge, with the dummy plug inserted in the thru-hull.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2016
Catalina C30 Warwick, RI
Sounds like something I would do. At least the only real damage is to your ego and truthfully you didn't chase a ghost repair you upgraded old wiring that "you've been meaning to do anyways" ;) So win win

Aug 7, 2018
Catalina 350 Great Sodus Bay, Lake Ontario
So..... I replaced my Raymarine wind instruments this summer. Worked great, for a week. Then wind speed stopped displaying on the I60 display. Direction and all other functions working.
So..... My boat is almost 20 years old and I decided that the wind sensor mount at the masthead might be "suspect" or the wiring. So I dropped the ma$t and rewired everything. Still no wind speed. Yes, wind direction displayed well. My wallet is lighter.
So..... For test, I hooked up a spare wind sensor, using the old (removed) wiring/base and everything was the same as the (new) masthead wiring installed. Still no wind speed.
So..... I decided the I60 display head must have failed shortly after installtion, and I sent it back for warranty repair.
So.... today I received an email from the Raymarine tech, as follows:
"Hi Larry, I am testing your I60 wind display for “speed not functioning” but there is no problem with the display (last picture).
When I first power up your unit, it was in VMG/True mode (first picture), It shows 3 dashes because I do not have speed through water in the network.
When I got out of VMG but still in True mode, I still shows 3 dashes for speed, same reason, it needs to have speed through water for it to work.
So, either you do not speed through water in you system (network), or the masthead transducer is not working on the speed portion.
I will return your unit today, please contact me with any question."

:banghead:
My speed transducer is laying in the bilge, with the dummy plug inserted in the thru-hull.
Or .... you could have forgotten to put the "dummy plug" back in before launch. Been there done that.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Ahhh.... don't feel bad. I installed a new nav. light on a boat years ago along with all new wiring from the buss to the light... it was late fall when I installed it. It was a very nice and very bright ( = expensive) LED nav light. I was very happy with the upgrade. Sailed a few times and then put the boat up for the winter.

Come spring, the light was not working. Checked the battery... 14V (Damn Chinese JUNK!), $o I pucha$ed different model and in$talled that nav light. Still did not work. Well now I'm feeling bad about disparaging the Chinese since it must be the wiring from the buss to the light and since I'm the one who installed it... it must be on me. $o I replaced all the wiring again. This time being extra diligent with my splices. Neither of the new nav lights would work. :rolleyes:

Check battery again. Still 14V. Check voltage at the end of the run... 6V:(

Taking another look at all of my splices and connections, I see some patina at the battery terminal. Clean that off and everything is now working.:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Mak41

Jul 26, 2019
Oday Daysailer 2 6211 Chautauqua Lake & others.
Or .... you could have forgotten to put the "dummy plug" back in before launch. Been there done that.
OMG! Yes, been there done that. Had no idea what was wrong. Why can't I tack? Wind is light but not that light. Seems like I can't build boat speed. Hmmm. ...OMG... Insert plug. Start bailing. Head for the shallows. HURRY!
Yeah. Survived afloat but probably only minutes away from disaster.
It can happen.

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 30 Port Charlotte, FL
It's not clear whether Raymarine is saying that (1) you need a speed transducer in your network, or (2) that your speed transducer needs to be registering a speed-through-water, for wind speed to work. Option (2) doesn't make any sense because then wind speed wouldn't work while tied to the dock.
I have the same situation, I have a working speed transducer but keep it in the bilge, and wind speed doesn't work in either true or apparent mode but wind direction does. I don't see how putting the speed wheel in the water will make a difference, especially in apparent mode which doesn't use speed through water. The masthead transducer is expensive to repair or replace but that may be my only option.

So, Capt. Larry, have you found a solution yet?

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
Seems to me that for a wind instrument like as this one you would want to have it to show wind speed/direction at anchor or when on a reach. It also seems to me that which mode was being displayed would have an indicator on the display to to show that. If apparent mode doesn't use speed through water it must use velocity along course via GPS so when at anchor how does GPS know which direction the boat is pointed?

Jun 14, 2010
It's not clear whether Raymarine is saying that (1) you need a speed transducer in your network, or (2) that your speed transducer needs to be registering a speed-through-water, for wind speed to work. Option (2) doesn't make any sense because then wind speed wouldn't work while tied to the dock.
I have the same situation, I have a working speed transducer but keep it in the bilge, and wind speed doesn't work in either true or apparent mode but wind direction does. I don't see how putting the speed wheel in the water will make a difference, especially in apparent mode which doesn't use speed through water. The masthead transducer is expensive to repair or replace but that may be my only option.

So, Capt. Larry, have you found a solution yet?
Will do more testing after I get the unit back

Dec 23, 2013
hunter 30 keelcenterboard mobile
I have earned quite a few signs,put in New fuse holder ,wording to meet lite,bow life worked at dock quit while under way changed wide same thing,turned out New fuse holder bad,engine vibrations made contact loosen.One of many. Signs,but good learning moment.

Jun 14, 2010
Following up: I installed the display head again, and it works in both True and Apparent modes. My speed transducer is still laying in the bilge, as always. IDK what the issue was. (Maybe the Raymarine tech was messing with me?) :banghead:

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Maybe it's like that old Rolls Royce story.
A Rolls owner was driving in the countryside when it broke down. He walked back to town and called Rolls Royce to get a mechanic out and fix his car. Rolls Royce flew a mechanic out by helicopter immediately and repaired the vehicle.
Happy with the prompt efficient service of the company, the man waited for the repair bill to come in the mail. No bill came.
Finally, after waiting a couple of months, he called the company to ask about his bill. The rep. On the phone listened politely to the customer asking about the bill for their mechanic who made a special flight out to the country just to fix his car. When he finished speaking, the representative replied, "I'm sure you must be mistaken, Rolls Royces don't break down."

-Will (Dragonfly)