Glow Plugs Type A panel

Apr 17, 2013
Catalina 310 57 Pompano Beach, FL
Have hull#57 the engine instrument panel is not the Admiral or Captain panel as in the operators manual. The panel is called Type "A" High Efficiency Panel and the engine model is M25XBPC.
From what I have researched C in the model# refers to the Instrument Panel. My question is being in Florida I have never needed to activate the glow plugs to start the engine. Recently it has been colder then normal and the engine is harder to start. With this panel the key switch has a on position then a second position which is a spring position you need to keep holding the switch. Is this the position to energize the glow plugs and do you hold it in this position for like 15 seconds then try to start the engine.
Thanks for any advice.

druid

Apr 22, 2009
Ontario 32 Pender Harbour
I'm familiar with the XPB but not the instrument panel. I BELIEVE it's the one where you need to push a button AND turn the key: the key runs the starter and the button bypasses the oil pressure interlock AND runs the glowplugs. So if you need the glowplugs for longer, just push that button for a few seconds before you start to crank.

druid

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
With this panel the key switch has a on position then a second position which is a spring position you need to keep holding the switch. Is this the position to energize the glow plugs and do you hold it in this position for like 15 seconds then try to start the engine.
Yes.

It's an M25XPBC, you got some letters in the wrong place.

Apr 17, 2013
Catalina 310 57 Pompano Beach, FL
You are correct it is M25XPBC there is no button for the preheat so I am assuming if you hold the key in the spring position that will energize the glow plugs is that the case?

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
I think I read somewhere that the "C" in the M25XPBC stood for "Catalina", since they had a different engine harness/cockpit display than the standard (?) M25XPB. Not sure if it's true, but makes sense, or at least a good story.

The electric schematic is a little complicated, but if you spend some time tracing it you can see how turning the key to the spring position energizes the glow plug relay and bypasses the oil pressure switch, allowing the lift pump to pump fuel. When you release the key the glow plugs turn off, as well as the lift pump. After you start the engine the oil pressure comes up and the lift pump gets energized again. The oil pressure/lift pump connection is a safety feature designed to stop the engine if there's no oil pressure. I have heard it's not real reliable, because there may still be some flow of diesel even with the lift pump off; hopefully the reduction in flow causes a change in engine RPM/pitch and the driver notices it.