Glow plugs leaking

Mar 23, 2020
Catalina 30 Cheboygan, MI
Some of y'all were helpful enough to offer me some advice on rebuilding my m25xp. Last night I fired it up for the first time. Success! It ran....I celebrated....it was great. Then today I inspected the engine and saw a bunch of black "stuff" near all three glow plugs. I assume its diesel from the combustion chamber. The plugs are in there pretty snug. I googled and searched the forums but don't see anything obvious. I'm brand new to diesel so there's no doubt I could have made a newb mistake. With a sparkplug, there is a gasket that seals down on top of the hole. With these plugs, they just thread in and the threads do the sealing? What am I missing? I'll disassemble the intake manifold and hit them with the torque wrench, I just wanted to see if I was missing a gasket or something first. Since its all three, seems like user error to me.

Attachments

Last edited:

RitSim

Jan 29, 2018
Beneteau 411 Branford
As I remember it, the glow plug has only a taper at the end that seats against the head. I think you either have debris in the holes or seat damage. The problem you have is that any cleaning/grinding allows that material down into the engine where it may live forever- doing damage.

Attachments

RitSim

Jan 29, 2018
Beneteau 411 Branford
Did a quick Google search and there are other possibilities "leaking glow plugs". Could also be cracked glow plug ceramic, spray from the injectors pooling in the glow plug hole.

Mar 23, 2020
Catalina 30 Cheboygan, MI
So apparently there is about an 1/8 of a turn difference between "snug" and 18 ft/lb. I torqued it to the proper spec, hit it with some brake cleaner, ran it through 2 buckets of water, and no more leak. Thanks!