Glow Plug key or not to key?

CYQK

Sep 11, 2009
beneteau first 42 kenora
Would you wire your glow plug to your start key...or...would you mount your glow plug with a push button??

Theories on each method???

Thanks

Oct 4, 2007
Oday 28 Great Salt Lake Marina
My glow plugs are on a switch. Hold it up for 30 seconds and then let it go and fire it up. If you wired to the keyswitch wouldn't the glow plugs be on all the time? Wouldn't that be an unnecessary electrical draw while running?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It is all about you and how you want to start your boat. The spring switch limits the time the plugs are on to how long you hold the switch in, (unless something breaks :yikes:). If you go the manual route that means you have to hold the switch for the 15 or 30 seconds needed to heat the fuel.

Most are not directly wired to the key switch but to a solenoid. Or you can follow the route less taken like my friend @LeslieTroyer and wire up your own countdown alarm and light system that controls the glow plugs. I think he did a Tech writeup of his system in the Catalina Magazine.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Yes. you are correct. Just thought fuel - the air/diesel mix in the cylinders sounded more exciting.

Oct 4, 2007
Oday 28 Great Salt Lake Marina
got me excited! Thought I had forgotten how glow plugs work. Had to go "Google" it to see where I had gone wrong. Brain Corrosion.......

• Ha
May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Remember glow plugs draw about 11A each, so a relay is recommended, with a relay 15srconds is all you should need, without ~30 Seconds.

I believe the start on key switch and glow plug button/toggle switched places when Universal started installing glow plug relays — the reason is their starter takes >30A startup and 10A sustaining to run just the solenoid. John is correct my GP are on a timer for ~15 seconds every time I turn on the key, the starter solenoid is on a relay to increase voltage to the starter solenoid (cranking noticeably better). And for my sanity alarms are disabled whenever GP are energized.

• Helpful