Glogged holding tank dump hose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 16, 2005
- - Long Port, NJ
Hi All: As the season is winding down, I finally encountered a head problem- or, more accurately, a holding tank problem. Not a design nor manufacturing flaw, rather I suspect some un-kind guest flushed some non-single ply TP down the head. Result is the hose that drains from my holding tank to a thru-hull to dump (where legal and environmentally correct) is clogged. Seems like the solution is to run a auger (kind of rain snake thing) down through it via the inspection cover on the top of the tank. Boat is a 2003 Bav 38 two-cabin config. Any experiences/knowledge with this? Thanks in advance- hope to see some of you at Annapolis in Oct ! -Mark

J

Jim

Holding tank clog

Would it make sense to come up the other way? The through hull fitting is close to the waterline and easy to reach from a dinghy or the dock.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
First make sure your tank vent isn't blocked

A blocked tank vent will cause the pumpout or macerator to pull a vacuum, preventing it from pulling anything out of the tank. Where, unless you have it on the boat, would a guest get the wrong kind of TP to flush? Otoh, it could be a tampon or a paper towel...in which case, it may be your macerator that's clogged, not the line. Running an auger from the thru-hull won't work...'cuz if there is a clog in the line, it has to be ahead of the macerator, and the augur won't reach it. And an augur from the tank will just push it to the macerator where, if the macerator isn't already clogged, it will clog it. So first, check the vent...both ends--the thru-hull and the connection at the tank. Then, if that checks out, pump out and THOROUGHLY rinse out the tank. Then, I'm afraid you're gonn have to start taking things apart. 'Cuz even if you can get a clog out of the line with an augur, unless it's completely broken up--which AIN'T gonna happen if it's a paper towel or a tampon--it'll just clog up the line again unless it's removed from the tank. The fun part of owning a boat...NOT! :(

T

Tom

Holding Tank Inspection Port

Mark, How do you get the holding tank access port off? Does it screw off or "pop off"? I too would recommend trying to "pump out" the tank before effecting a repair. If rinsed well several times, the repair work should be "more pleasant" than if you do not. Thanks, Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.