Globe Run Dry Impellers

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
When I went to replace the impeller on my Yanmar 3JH2E I saw the recommended Globe Impeller had a different configuration from the Yanmar impeller. For those who have installed the Globe Impellers, is this typical?

They Yanmar impeller had 9 fairly thick vanes, the Globe 12 thinner vanes. Does it make a difference?

And just for the record, the brilliant engineer who designed a diesel that requires the starter to be removed in order to replace the impeller should have his/her license revoked. :huh:

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
They Yanmar impeller had 9 fairly thick vanes, the Globe 12 thinner vanes. Does it make a difference?
The impeller is Flex Vane positive displacement pump.

Since the Pump housing is constant Volume ...
1) 12 vanes will yield smaller and more "pulses" or smoother flow. [versus 9]
2) Thinner vanes of the same nitrile rubber may last longer.

I would check the faces of the impeller for a thin rib difference. That rib seals against the face plate and wears out. When that rib disappears, there is bypassing.

Jim...

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
The thinner vanes cannot develop as much ultimate delta P ..they will flip easier at high delta P.. Not really a problem in this application since you'd have to have an almost plugged exhaust ell or seawater strainer .. those would manifest in some overheat symptoms before the high pressure developed ..

• Helpful

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Not sure now but Globe had some issues years back with their impellers.
I just replaced mine. Yanmar 4JE has the water pump facing aft on the port side with no access. I have to remove the auxiliary battery box and my alternator to get at it. I cannot see what I am doing. Took better than three hours and some bloody knuckles.

Jan 11, 2014
Thanks guys. I bought the impeller last year, so I'm probably past the stock that had problems.

I'll get it installed this week and hopefully be done with diesel maintenance for a while.

Jan 11, 2014
" recommended Globe Impeller"
By whom?
Why not use the Yanmar part?
The recommended size from the manufacturer, Globe.

The Globe impellers are designed to run dry for 15 or more minutes, the Yanmar, and most other manufacturers, impellers will tear apart well before 15 minutes of running dry. If the intake becomes plugged or I forget to open the seacock the impeller won't immediately self-destruct.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
Not sure now but Globe had some issues years back with their impellers.
I just replaced mine. Yanmar 4JE has the water pump facing aft on the port side with no access. I have to remove the auxiliary battery box and my alternator to get at it. I cannot see what I am doing. Took better than three hours and some bloody knuckles.
Someone did modified the 2GM20F SCW pump to face out using the 3YM30 SCW pump bracket. Not sure if 4JE can be modified so.

Ken Y