glasses

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Check the prices out on the web for the Steiners and compare...

senang

Oct 21, 2009
hunter 38 Monaco
I visited the Columbia River Coast Guard Station on Point Disappointment. The CG person on duty was watching the bar with Fixed binoculars. They looked to be 3 plus feet long with a lenses that might be 500 or maybe 1000mm in diameter. They were huge. Sitting on a fixed platform. He could look out to see and count the persons on the bridge of an incoming ship some 6 miles away. I only wish I had taken a picture of them. I have never seen anything like them.
Must have been these Kreiss & Co. Length 100cm!
F022EF34-D61F-41A7-866B-70F6B3AD2403.png

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@senang You would need to feed those glasses a diet of Grow food for a month... The unit was 20 times that size. I have looked on line and have not been able to find an image.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
So I got to look at the Steiners Commandos and another pair without the compass. One thing I really liked about the commandos is the battery is only for the light if you want to use it. So if the battery dies, everything still works. I was surprised at how heavy they were.

The infinite focus was nice. I'll need to do some more evaluations under some different viewing conditions. They were located in a tent and I could only get a few peeks through some spots. But overall, quite nice binoculars.

I also looked at an older pair in Bacon's, but the two sides were no longer in alignment. Otherwise I may have purchased them as the price was quite good. Not sure yet what I'll end up buying. I did really like them but with the weight, I'll have to look more.

dj

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Arrived this morning. I'll post a review/update on what I think. I haven't even unboxed just yet. Been working on the companion way doors.
Now that this decision has been made, the next step is to start saving for the Fuji 14x40 stabilized. Like all the posts before that mentioned them, they are what really makes it out there. Just took ours off the boat yesterday and I basically wouldn't go on any trip without them. We also have the Swarovski 7x50 binoculars and chose them because of their ruggedness. They're designed to be able to take a hit and tested at the factory before they leave. On a boat things move and something falling isn't unusual so the Swarovski is worth it for that.
The stabilized 14x40s are really worth it. Besides buoys and other things, one can read the WN numbers or boat name at a distance.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
pumpkinpie,

I have loved my Steiner Commanders over three decades -- but the Navigator Pro's are a great value!

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Yes I did that too:) Most of those are not 7x50 with the compass, 7x30 with a compass is in the $450 range. That Mareshop.eu looks suspicious to me.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Yes I did that too:) Most of those are not 7x50 with the compass, 7x30 with a compass is in the $450 range. That Mareshop.eu looks suspicious to me.
Then there's the West Marine listing