Gland packing size

alvy

Mar 23, 2020
o day o day 26 Bay Harbor- Erie,Pa
I pulled out all the shaft packing on my O day 26 . tried to measure the size of it with my mic but got various readings. My question is does anybody know the correct size? 3/16 , 1/4 inch

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
No one knows how big your box actually is, even with the same boat. Buy both, return the other. Good luck.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Stu is absolutely correct. Not enough info. By the way Welcome @alvy to the forum. Have you read the MaineSail - How to re-pack your Stuffing Box info You may find it helpful.

I am going to suggest you try the 1/4” first. But as Stu says have both on hand. It is cheap and you do not want to have it all open then have to go back to the store.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
My O’Day 322 uses 3/16. I have a 1” shaft. Not sure what mfr of box though.

Greg

alvy

Mar 23, 2020
Thanks Greg- My O day 26 has a 1'' shaft . So that's what I'll start with and have 1/4'' on hand just in case Thanks again Alvy

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Ditto for the GFO packing. Works great and BTW my shaft is also 1'' and takes the 3/16. The idea of buying both is good. FYI I have attached some pics: one of the packing gland type on my boat so you can compare and the other ones are how I have simplified measuring the 3 pieces by measuring the stern railing (1.01''), then wrapping 3 turns around it and cutting with a sharp exacto knife. The 3-pieces are then installed at 120 degrees intervals inside the packing gland. You'll see that the packing looks bigger then 3/16 and you'll be right. I made the pictures some time ago when I had to do it in the water and the store where I was only had 1/4. I could only put 2 wraps inside instead of 3 and had a little drip. I redid the job when I could get my hands on 3/16 and it has been working almost dripless since. Good luck.

Attachments

alvy

Mar 23, 2020
Thanks Claude , i'll be measuring my railing tomorrow. Your stuffing box look like what I have. I think 3/16 is the way to go