getting to the oil pressure switch on 1984 c27

mbs

Jul 31, 2015
catalina c27 new hamburg, ny
Trying to replace the darn oil pressure switch. a deep 15/16 socket can't get in there due to the antifreeze reservoir being in the way. I have taken the alternator off and tried to get in with a 15/16 box wrench, no luck. Anyone successfully pulled that sucker? Or is the only way by removing the reservoir?
Thanks, Mike

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Mike, no matter the boat, this question requires you to share with us what engine you have, doesn't it? :)

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
It's almost certainly a Universal M18.
Oil sender is under the exhaust manifold, which the poster is referring to as the reservoir.
It's a ridiculous pain to try to get at it with the manifold on.
There are swivel tools at Home Depot etc that might work.
Removing the manifold is not complicated, but takes loads more time than if the sender can be reached. Also once removed, the gasket between the manifold and elbow adapter plate will have to be replaced.
The sender being there is one of those design conflicts where the Kubota tractor motor was not built knowing it would be a marine engine with a jacketed manifold.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
They make specialty oil sender sockets for those funny shaped senders. Other than that have you tried channel locks??

mbs

Jul 31, 2015
They make specialty oil sender sockets for those funny shaped senders. Other than that have you tried channel locks??
Having trouble visualizing a socket that would work as the manifold is in the way... Would you have a link? The channel lock I have is too "fat" to get around it. Might look for a slimmer model. This evening I am trying a 15/16 box that we cut down to 5" long. Fingers crossed ;)

May 20, 2016
Just google “oil pressure socket” they cone in all shapes and sizes including crows foot.

The older M28 & M25 (mine) have the sender/switch on a manifold below the heat exchanger. A rubber hose runs from your location to the manifold.

mbs

Jul 31, 2015
Just google “oil pressure socket” they cone in all shapes and sizes including crows foot.

The older M28 & M25 (mine) have the sender/switch on a manifold below the heat exchanger. A rubber hose runs from your location to the manifold.
Hmmm, still don't see a socket, but the crowsfoot is definitely a possibility!!! Thanks!!!!

mbs

Jul 31, 2015
Swivel and racheting.
View attachment 164634
I think I have pretty much given up on the idea of getting in there without pulling the manifold... The notch in the manifold just doesn't give enough clearance to get a wrench in there. I'm away from the boat for the next week so unless a new plan comes to me in a dream I'll be preparing for removing the manifold. Thanks all for the suggestions!!!

May 20, 2016
If you pull the manifold you’ll need one exhaust to block gasket per cylinder (2 for M18) and one exhaust to riser gasket. The exhaust to block gaskets will be cheapest a a Kubota Dealer, the Riser gasket from TOAD or CatalinaDirect.

Here is a good how to on R&R of the manifold, and if you haven’t done the alternator bracket upgrade this is the perfect time to do so.

I forget the torque on the bolts but it wasn’t much (used a 1/4” torque wrench)

mbs

Jul 31, 2015
If you pull the manifold you’ll need one exhaust to block gasket per cylinder (2 for M18) and one exhaust to riser gasket. The exhaust to block gaskets will be cheapest a a Kubota Dealer, the Riser gasket from TOAD or CatalinaDirect.

Here is a good how to on R&R of the manifold, and if you haven’t done the alternator bracket upgrade this is the perfect time to do so.

I forget the torque on the bolts but it wasn’t much (used a 1/4” torque wrench)
THANKS!!!!! Been meaning to replace the hose from the heat exchanger to water pump as well which will be much more accessible... Can you attach the link to the manifold r&r? Could be useful. Whats the thoughts on using permatex to make a gasket?

mbs

Jul 31, 2015
Hey, I just stumbled over this thread and thought I would post the resolution in case it helps someone else... I was in advance auto and decided to give the auto oil pressure switch socket a go. Damned if I wasn't able to wiggle it on there and get the switch out! Turns out the old one was a 1-1/16" whereas the replacement is a 15/16"!!! No more annoying buzzing at idle!