Getting to the Forestay Turnbuckle

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chris Lindsay

Due to "excessive" weather helm, I've decided to try and retune the rig so that the mast is a little further forward. My owner's manual kind of tells me what to do with the rig itself; the problem is getting to the forestay turnbuckle to tighten it up. It has a "Hood" roller furling jib which covers the turnbuckle even with the jib halyard all the way "up" and the wiring to the bottom of the furler taken off. What is the best way to get to the turnbuckle without sending ball bearings flying all over the place?

B

Bob E.

No flying ball bearings

I had the same concern. My best advice is to get a copy of the Hood SeaFurl LD or SL owner's manual, whichever model you have. This manual gives complete installation and maintenance instructions for the furling units. What you want to do is easy once you know how. If your local Hood dealer can't give you a copy of the manual, send an E-mail to Seafurl@AOL.com requesting the appropriate SeaFurl owner's manual, and giving your FAX number. They will FAX you a copy of the manual. If you can't get this, let me know and I will try to describe what you need to do, but this is a case of a picture being worth at least 1000 words. I have the LD (Line Drive) furling unit. You can contact me at rsengland@home.com

B

Bob G.

Turnbuckle on Hood rollerfurler

You have to remove the sail from the furler. There is a locking fitting on the top of the lower section of the furler, the lower section can be raised up over the upper sections exposing the turnbuckle. Have someone hold the upper sections when you remove the screw because the upper part will slid down through the lower section. The whole thin is easy if you have a helping hand.

M

Michael Cohn

Also

Don't forget to adjust the shrouds and backstay (does your boat have a backstay?) as well! MC

Status
Not open for further replies.