Getting to Lake Huron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
We are going from Sandusky Bay to the North Channel next summer. I've been considering the trip from Sandusky Harbor Marina to Point Edward, a marina north of Sarnia, and our first stop on Lake Huron. That's about 113 nautical miles (nm.) Once we leave Lake Erie, we will be bucking currents from 1 to 3 knots in the Detroit River, Lake St. Clair, and the St. Clair River. A normal leg would be around 40nm, but 30 seems more manageable against the current.

Here is a rough picture of the route:

If we make a long first day across Lake Erie, we could anchor north of Bois Blanc (Bob-Lo for us Americans) Island the first night (46nm). Then we would go about 40nm to a marina on Harsen's Island near the mouth of the St' Clair River. This is a long day, but the current is lower in Lake St. Clair during the second half of the leg. I'm not sure which marina we would stay at. The options include Tashmoo, Schneider, or Idle Hour Yacht Club. From there, Point Edward marina ia a reasonable 30 nm.

If we take most of a day to pack our boats, then another plan looks even better. We could sail in the afternoon or evening to Put-in-Bay, a familiar 20 nm. Then, we could make it to the Wyandotte Yacht Club, south of Detroit (34nm). Then the trip to Hansen's Island is a reasonable 31nm. A few years ago, the Foster men (Jack, David, Matt, & Craig) made a similar trip from Wyandotte to the Clinton River in Mount Clemens. That day we really bucked the current with our old engine. The new 1GM10 will drive us at least a knot faster. It doesn't sound like much, but when we were hugging the shore to stay out of the current, we were still only making 2.5 knots over ground. making 3.5 knots instead is a big advantage!

The more I think about it, the more the Put-in-Bay alternative sounds better. We will be on vacation, after all! So we will talk it over with the Nilssons who will be going with us in Gelan Gar, their Hunter 30. The fun thing about cruising is that we can figure out what we want to do when we see the weather on the day in question. A strong SW wind for a couple of days would make the whole trip pretty easy!

And we are longing to see the swan rookery in the East Branch of the Detroit River, as we think about all the distances and times!

M

Magic Moments

You are going to have a blast. I did the North Chanel last summer and am planning the return. I'm a Lake St.Clair sailor and I did Thames River to Sarnia the first day and then Sarnia to Club Island the second. Left Sarnia about 9 am and arrived at Cove Island near dawn and Club Island about noon. We did the 2 week rush tour and wish we could have stayed much longer. Buy the guide books and have a great time. FWIW the garmin lake Huron / North Chanel chip was bang on accurate.

Nov 8, 2007
Thanks for confirming confidence in Garmin. Just finished downloading all the detail from a newly downloaded map set to the GPS. As a GLCC member, I have their great piloting material, too. We do careful piloting off landmarks with the GPS in the North Channel , or anywhere where rocks rise suddenly!

W

Wallace-Kandu

Some Great Stops

Thanks for confirming confidence in Garmin. Just finished downloading all the detail from a newly downloaded map set to the GPS. As a GLCC member, I have their great piloting material, too. We do careful piloting off landmarks with the GPS in the North Channel , or anywhere where rocks rise suddenly!
We have gone north five of the last seven years and have some favorite stops. Lakeview Marina in Windsor is great. Be sure to get your I68 and take a passport or get a Nexus card. Sarnia Bay marina in Sarnia is really great because the city is in walking distance. On the Michigan side the state marina's are really nice. We especially like Preque Isle and
Rogers City but there are a number of others that are really nice. Allow a couple of days at Mackinac Island. In the North Channel we like Meldrum Bay, Gore Bay, Little Current and Blind River; but there are a number of other interesting ports. We have anchored in may places as well with the Bustards, Eagle Island, Harbor Island, and Bear Drop as some of the favorites.

Going up the Canadian side we like Goderich, Port Elgin, Port Stanley, and always Tobermory. There is a little used harbor on the north east tip of Fitzwilliam Island. Nothing much there but very well protected.

Take no chances while navigating in that area There are too many rocks just below the surface.

Judging from your comments, the plan is to take your time. We do not have the luxury so we tend to sail/motor for long stretches non-stop. We leave around midnight from Battery Park so that we get through the Detroit River in daylight. It is really a bear at night. This past summer our first stop was Rogers City which took 47 hours non-stop. We motor around 7.4 knots (P42) so the rivers are an inconvenience but not too bad for us. The current in the Detroit River is around 1.5 knots, and around 2.5 in the St. Clair River. On the way home we went from Fitzwilliam Island to Put-In-Bay non-stop, 36 hours.

The North Channel and the north end of Georgian Bay are some of the most beautiful places on earth. Enjoy.

Jan 5, 2010
92 macgregor 26s Manitoulin Island
Manitoulin

Sounds like a great trip you have planned David. I just started sailing this past fall, but the north channel is part of my future outings as well! Have a safe trip!

Sep 25, 2008
Oday 25 Gibraltar
I agree, a Nexis card is a must since you'll be touching US and Canada all the way up and back. It should eliminate any problems with customs.

Rich

Nov 8, 2007
Have Nexus cards

Got them in Detroit last month.

Met with our friends who will join us on Gelan Gar, their H-30. I think it will take us around 10-11 days to get to the North Channel. But we all agree there will be fun and interesting ports on the way.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Don't forget Bayfield on the CDN side, just south of Goderich. Nice town with touristy shopping on the main street ( walkable from the marina ) and fresh fish vendor in the harbour.

Dave, when are you planning on being up to the North Channel. We are planning first two weeks of August ( so far )

The North Channel and the north end of Georgian Bay are some of the most beautiful places on earth.
I'll certainly agree to that.

Nov 8, 2007
Great Picture, Scott!

We agreed today that we will take our time, and enjoy the trip, so we will be in the North Channel in the second half of August, and again in the second half of September. But our friends may need to leave earlier, so we might be there when you are.

Our current plan is to stop in Bayfield as you recommend.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
We agreed today that we will take our time, and enjoy the trip, so we will be in the North Channel in the second half of August, and again in the second half of September. But our friends may need to leave earlier, so we might be there when you are.

Our current plan is to stop in Bayfield as you recommend.

Bustard Islands, NE corner of Georgian Bay.

I think I mentioned this to you previously, to get the Ports Book, invaluable for info on cruising, anchoring and stopovers.

Status
Not open for further replies.