Getting small amount of water from keel well (Catalina 22)?

Sep 22, 2019
Chrysler 26 Pymatuning Lake
Hi,
I am posting this to get advice. I have some water coming in from the keel well I believe. The water accumulates in the storage area under the bow most dinette seat. It is not much water. I can soak it up with 5 or 6 bounty towels. It does not come in from the rain. It accumulates after a day out or when the boat sits for long periods. I took pictures and labeled the area where the water comes in. See attached pictures. I want advise on how to seal it. Can i just put water proof cauking in the intrusion area with epoxy? Or Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure? Please advise.

IMG_1905.JPEG

IMG_1907.JPEG
IMG_1909.JPEG

Sep 11, 2013
Catalina 25 6106 Lake Erie Metro Park
Are you certain it’s not coming from the keel lock bolt area ? That’s common on C22’s. A little plumbers putty on the threads usually cures that. If it’s not from that area it may be leaking around the keel hanger bolts. Another possibility is that (God forbid) the keel trunk is cracked, possibly when the keel lifting cable broke and the keel crashed down. I helped another owner repair the keel trunk after that happened to him and that’s where the leak was as well as some other places.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Actually if you unscrew the bolt a little and put some wheel bearing grease on it and screw it back in a little you get a pretty watertight seal without making the bolt unusable for its alleged purpose (that is a source of much debate by the way).

Gibbs

May 28, 2020
Catalina 22 Bayville, NJ
I recently rebuilt a Cat 22 (1987). The owner had used silicone for everything! The result was that I had to replace most everything including all the chain plates due to crevice corrosion. One of the things I had to do was remove the bulkheads on both sides and rebuilt them (soaking them in WEST System) and then installing them with 5200 and making up the difference with the original leather pads with 5200. No leaks.

Look for the simple things first. I also removed the keel due to excessive banging and rebuilt it as well. Cheap enough with pins and washers, etc.
Pull the boat and attend to the keel well. Use caulking and then bottow paint the area. You will have to remove the keel for this. But your peace of mind after the change will give you the enjoyment of free sailing, knowing you have done everything necessary for the boat.