Getting ready to take the Solar Plunge.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
This winter I decided to begin a solar journey. I have listened to ...
@Hello Below, @mermike, @Maine Sail, and many others.

This year's cruising plan - heading into Northern Waters where Sailing and anchorages are anticipated, consideration of recharging batteries revolves around the proven generation of the diesel engine or alternative sources. Among the options solar feels to be among the best.
SolarPanel.jpeg
I have found a 50W test panel.

I've acquired:
  • a Victron MPPT 75/15 controller that is rated Nominal PV 220W 12V power. This allows me to scale up the Panels.
  • Wiring to connect the panels
  • Battery Temp sensor
  • and tools to install the equipment.
Oh the fun we have with new toys.

Then there is the tease from MaineSail today with his video "Happy 15th Birthday to my LiFePo4 Battery.."
Another item now on the boat budget list... It never stops. At least Rod has discovered/resolved many of the pitfalls. Thank you for sharing.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
John you do realize that solar systems in particular the Victron charge controller is highly addictive. While sitting in your cockpit, you will find yourself more than occasionally sneaking a peak at the Victron Connect app to see how your system is responding to every passing cloud formation known to weathermen. You’ll be dreaming about daily Yield and PMax and you’ll always be hoping to outdo your historical highs. And when you do, it will be yet another occasion for a celebration. But then . . . tomorrow it will start all over.
Good luck.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
John, if you are going to do all the work of installing solar you should get some bigger panels. I put in 200 watts and wish for more.

Phil

Feb 11, 2017
Morris Annie Haleiwa, HI
I've been using solar on my boat to charge the two 12V, 80 Ahr house batteries and twelve 12V, 100 Ahr electric motor batteries for more than two years quite successfully. It's a great way to go.

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
That makes sense. Working in a phase in approach at the moment. Challenge is where and how to locate the panels. The current 50W panel can be scaled up.

colemj

Jul 13, 2004
Dolphin Catamaran Dolphin 460 Mystic, CT
When scaling up, try to pair those panels in series at a minimum. Those are small, lower voltage panels, and the Victron controllers have a bad quality of needing 5V PV above battery voltage to begin charging. It is possible that those individual panels will be close to battery voltage early and late in the day, which will decrease your total available charging time. The higher voltage will also give the MPPT a chance to function, as otherwise it will just be mostly working in PWM mode and throwing away potential power.

If possible, I'd encourage larger panels with a Vmpp of 21V or higher. I don't know what those Grape ones are, but these size panels are usually lower than this, and the Vmpp drops 2-3 volts when they heat up (which may not be an issue in the PNW).

Mark

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
This year's cruising plan - heading into Northern Waters
Woo hoo. Appears Hadley is almost there. Good news. Any specific ideas taking form? Northern waters cover a pretty big area.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Woo hoo. Appears Hadley is almost there. Good news. Any specific ideas taking form? Northern waters cover a pretty big area.
And, not to divert the thread too much (hopefully), but is the engine all squared away and in good working order now?

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
Thanks for the query Alan.
The engine is installed and is running smoothly with the rebuilt transmission.

I have about 7 hours on the engine since the install. I am heading up to the boat next week to see if after a the 30 day of rest anything has changed.

Once I get about 10 hours on the engine, I'll be doing a complete fluid/filter change. Then I will be taking it out onto the Sound for a couple day sea trial. Waters that have access to towing, just in case...

I am presently happy with the rebuild and looking forward to a summer of exploration.

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
I’ll see how that works out.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
John you do realize that solar systems in particular the Victron charge controller is highly addictive. While sitting in your cockpit, you will find yourself more than occasionally sneaking a peak at the Victron Connect app to see how your system is responding to every passing cloud formation known to weathermen. You’ll be dreaming about daily Yield and PMax and you’ll always be hoping to outdo your historical highs. And when you do, it will be yet another occasion for a celebration. But then . . . tomorrow it will start all over.
Good luck.
I think you can get help for this condition.:laugh:

And you are not wrong.

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
My test bed was a year old car battery. It was rejected by my wife’s car. Was showing 12.38 bolts.

After two days on the solar panel. Then a day during which I ran the equalize mode it showed 12.6 at rest after 24 hours. I’ll try to run a load test on the battery and see if it really has received a second life.

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Port Huron
Have fun with the solar install. I've had solar systems on our current boat and the 2 before it. As far as placing the panels, your pic doesn't show a bimini, which is an obvious choice for flexible panels. I currently have 420 watts of panels on mine. Maybe a swivelling (fold down) rail attachment or pole setup or over davits, if you have them? Just pay attention to shading. Anything under the boom will give you poor performance, worse than you might expect.

• Helpful