Getting on/off full keel boat on trailer?

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
Yeah, but Crazy Dave used to be a boat dealer.

If it was me, I'd just get an extension ladder with a fitting to hook it to the toe rail..
When I'm in transit the ladder is strapped to the frame of the trailer. You can even rig some handles at the top to help you on and off.
I will be doing that this summer for the Luger 30 project. I use an extension ladder which works well since the deck is a different height at different parts of the boat. I had thought of the hand rails at the top especially after removing all of the hardware and hand rails from the deck there is not much to hold on to way up there.
My cat used to be able to scale it going up but would ask to be carried down. Since his recent stroke he even has a difficult time getting up on the sofa but then I have a difficult time getting up off the sofa. Whata pair.

Jun 4, 2015
Pearson Electra Central Pa
PVC 3" pole. Steel or K-copper 1" rungs drilled through @ 12" centers; rungs have 'stops' to index them when slid in during assembly. Assemble from 36" sections, with slide pins to secure couplings. At gunnel hard-point horizontal pad to avoid rotation during descent. Fast to gunnel with paracord on cleat. Rubber mat on ground for traction to reduce kick-out. OR, buy a ladder...

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I look at what I feel that is safe. I use to be an investigator for insurance companies prior to being but now retired dealer. I cannot advise anything on that specific trailer as I feel it would be unsafe.
Looking at caguy's example drawing... what would you deem unsafe ?
This isn't a criticism at all. I'm curious since I have a steel ladder I built and am considering options for exact position to weld it on the trailer.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Not sure who built that trailer in the photo of the original post but I forgot to tell everyone to look at a set up if that item would fit on that trailer. Look at the Road King trailer specifically for a Catalina 250 wing keel with the steps on the post. Not sure if that would fit or not on the trailer in the original post but at least you will get the idea to a safer solution. Sorry gents but forgot to mention this earlier