Getting nervous

jguyer

Sep 16, 2010
S2 8.5 Milwaukee
Hopefully the core is just wet. When you drill the holes you may find that the core is black rotted mush. In that case it will need to be replaced. Good luck!!

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
Well, if time is an issue, there is always the "pay a guy" approach. It's big $$$, but it at least gets it fixed. I don't understand the "hopefully it's just a wet core" response. Yes, because a wet core won't be a rotted one in any time right?

The mast step is one of those repairs I hope to never have to do, but if you have the problem you CAN fix it. Actually ANYONE can fix it. The quality of how good it looks has everything to do with experience and how the repair is approached (from topside or underneath). I bought my 7.9 with it already done by a pro, and they did it from the top, however, they also had to match the nonskid, and still wound up painting the deck afterward.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
The problem isn't the cost, although investing $5000 in he boat is lost money for sure, it's that there aren't a lot of good craftsman out there. My marina would likely have done yard worker hack it and charge me through the roof. Been there before. Paid $85/hr for mechanic that was a wet behind the ears kid worth nothing because he replaced perfectly good belts and I lost an hour removing the oil and transmission fluid he badly overfilled.

I just don't really have the time myself.

Bob

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Update

Well, I had just about decided to put Triple Play in for use in September and October, deck depression be damned...then my Uncle died suddenly. He was a sailor...mostly of a tiny O'day Widgeon...and no doubt he is looking down at me shaking his head in disgust...but I just didn't have the heart for it.

I decided to refocus my efforts on repairing it. I am going to get a quote from a guy in Marshfield MA. He has a transport service too and seems willing to tackle it from the inside. The reality of my situation is that it is probably worth paying someone to do it if he will do a good job. Mentally I am thinking it might be half of what she is worth to fix her, but any boat with this much wet deck has a serious devaluation issue and is probably just a donation anyway at this point.

I am pretty much thinking I will end up doing it myself. Have the mast dropped...remove the big trim piece at the top of the port bulkhead...then try to do it in two pieces slipping the new core over the bulkhead. Then I will cut up the sole, put in a block under the compression post and perhaps tackle a new sole. Then I will rewire the mast, run new halyards and get new rigging made up except for the backstay, which I replaced a few years ago.

That should keep me busy for a while!

Bob

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Well, I had just about decided to put Triple Play in for use in September and October, deck depression be damned...then my Uncle died suddenly. He was a sailor...mostly of a tiny O'day Widgeon...and no doubt he is looking down at me shaking his head in disgust...but I just didn't have the heart for it.

I decided to refocus my efforts on repairing it. I am going to get a quote from a guy in Marshfield MA. He has a transport service too and seems willing to tackle it from the inside. The reality of my situation is that it is probably worth paying someone to do it if he will do a good job. Mentally I am thinking it might be half of what she is worth to fix her, but any boat with this much wet deck has a serious devaluation issue and is probably just a donation anyway at this point.

I am pretty much thinking I will end up doing it myself. Have the mast dropped...remove the big trim piece at the top of the port bulkhead...then try to do it in two pieces slipping the new core over the bulkhead. Then I will cut up the sole, put in a block under the compression post and perhaps tackle a new sole. Then I will rewire the mast, run new halyards and get new rigging made up except for the backstay, which I replaced a few years ago.

That should keep me busy for a while!

Bob
it well do that ....i am thinking do it from the top...less mess and you will be able to set the cut out back in with minimal effort and then just repair the cuts if you do them strategically it will not be so noticeable