getting my 25 on jack stands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 21, 2013
Oday 25 Lahaina
I need to get my 25 onto jack stands and am looking for advice. It's on it's trailer here in Maui. We don't have access and I'd hate to pay for a crane service. Is there some sort of trick to get the boat from it's trailor on to the stands? Besides the bottom paint I need to fix the keel pin assembly.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Sep 25, 2008
Oday 25 Gibraltar
I store mine on a trailer with rollers. I'm able to paint the bottom without too much trouble but I can't access the centerboard. If you have the boat stands try raising the boat straight up high enough to drop the 'board (about 18" or so). Jack up the stern a little ways then the bow, then the stern, then the bow until it's high enough. Keep up with the stands as you go up. Go slow and keep it all under control. You shouldn't have to get the trailer out from underneath. If by any chance something fails it'll fall onto the trailer. Just don't put you or any part of yourself between anything. You can put blocks under the front and rear of the keel and between the rollers or bunks and the hull.
To jack up the boat get one or two hydraulic 'bottle' jacks. Minimum 8-12 ton cap. Don't bother with anything smaller. I know the boat only weighs 5000# or so but a 3T jack will be strained too much and probably will not be able to lift the bow or stern anyhow. In my experience a 3T jack will not lift 6000#. It may hold up 6000# but it won't raise it. A larger jack has a bigger safety factor besides. I'm talking about budget consumer jacks you'll find at Lowes or KMart not professional quality jacks. If they're large enough you can put them under the front and back of the keel or 'one good sized' one under the middle. Blocking up the keel and adjusting the stands as you go.
Rich

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
You can lower the tongue as far as it will go in the back of the boat will rise up. Support the back of the boat with blocks or wooden frame. Then raise the tongue as high as it will go, and similarly block the bow. Lower the tongue and the boat should clear the bunks. If you need even more room you can remove the tires.
I did this on the Mac 25 when I replaced the bunks.

Ritdog

Jul 18, 2011
Oday 25 Portland, ME
Maybe I'm paranoid, but I would use at least 4 sets of stands, and a bow stand. My first 25 had a crack along the whole width of the companionway entry, which supposedly is caused by flexing of the hull lengthwise by not using enough stands.

I set mine at the bow, a pair just where the front of the keel meets the hull, at the rear hull / keel meet, and a set at the stern. jacking is a constant ring around the rosie keeping them all even as possible.

You don't have to take of away from the trailer to do what you want to, unless the trailer has a keel rest, which it probably does, so you will be jacking about 3 feet up.

If you have to take the trailer away, that's a whole new ballgame, and takes about 7-8 hours to do. I did that last year, and posted it in here someplace 1-2 pages back.

Used 6 2x6s about 12 feet long, heavily screwed together to support the bow on another set of vertical stands while we jacked. Whatever, get a LOT of blocking under the keel if you can, where you have to .

Nov 13, 2011
Oday 23 New River Az
Ritdog, page numbers are moving targets, I see no thread numbers, and the search function doesn't work. A link would be appreciated.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
http://forums.oday.sailboatowners.com/album.php?albumid=2691

Here's that picture album guys. I was trying to do it on an ipad and I'm not too good at it. You're right guys. It is dangerous. I wouldn't want anyone to get hurt. I'm on my Pc right now and my typing doesn't seem to be any better. Due to some health reasons I'm going to cut down on the forum activity. I'm going to leave my "Page" up in the Sailboat Owners section of the forum for anyone seeking the pics and inf. I've had a lot of fun at it through the years.
Take good care guys and may God Bless each and everyone you.

Best Wishes
& Warmest Regards,

Joe

Sep 25, 2008
Oday 25 Gibraltar
http://forums.oday.sailboatowners.com/album.php?albumid=2691

Here's that picture album guys. I was trying to do it on an ipad and I'm not too good at it. You're right guys. It is dangerous. I wouldn't want anyone to get hurt. I'm on my Pc right now and my typing doesn't seem to be any better. Due to some health reasons I'm going to cut down on the forum activity. I'm going to leave my "Page" up in the Sailboat Owners section of the forum for anyone seeking the pics and inf. I've had a lot of fun at it through the years.
Take good care guys and may God Bless each and everyone you.

Best Wishes
& Warmest Regards,

Joe
Fair winds, Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.