Getting Closer to Launch Gudgeon upgraded and Ruddercraft Rudder is Hung

Sep 17, 2022
Catalina 22 Oolagah
Last weekend's project was to replace the OEM 1/2" gudgeons with CD's retrofit 1/2" kit with the stainless ferrule and Delrin bushing. Thanks to the many previous threads on this, I "kinda" knew what to expect and I'm happy to report that I apparently have the brass backing plate on the upper gudgeon as well as lower. This isn't visually verified on the upper since, I didn't install an inspection port but when the bolts were replaced they easily found thread exactly where it was expected to be. On the bottom gudgeon, I do have the brass backing plate but only the port bolt was locked down with a nylock nut so, I replaced the bolts with longer 2" length bolts so that all three could be nylocked during install.

The Ruddercraft rudder took longer to unpack than to hang. Those guys sure don't skimp on the packaging for transport! I do have a question on the Mast Crutch. Do those of you that use the Ruddercraft Mast Crutch keep the bottom crutch bracket attached while sailing? Ruddercraft provided a butterfly nut for attachment and I think that removing the bottom bracket will need to be part of the routine once the mast is stepped and the crutch is removed.

George

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Do those of you that use the Ruddercraft Mast Crutch keep the bottom crutch bracket attached while sailing? Ruddercraft provided a butterfly nut for attachment and I think that removing the bottom bracket will need to be part of the routine once the mast is stepped and the crutch is removed.
The bottom bracket is never removed. The thumb screw is just to keep the crutch from bouncing out of the bracket when you hit a pothole in the road, or when adjusting the crutch up and down.

Pro tip: drill a couple extra holes in the crutch so you will have more height adjustments to choose from. ;)

Sep 17, 2022
Catalina 22 Oolagah
The bottom bracket is never removed. The thumb screw is just to keep the crutch from bouncing out of the bracket when you hit a pothole in the road, or when adjusting the crutch up and down.

Pro tip: drill a couple extra holes in the crutch so you will have more height adjustments to choose from. ;)
Thank you for the quick reply. Last things first, today's Extendable Mast Crutch comes with five (5) 12" on center holes predrilled starting 1 inch from the top of the rod. So, that should cover the need for extra holes. Regarding the thumb screw, yes that is now located at the top mounting bracket will stay attached while sailing and trailering. Your design may have this thumbscrew on the bottom mounting bracket. Loosening that thumbscrew allows removal of the Mast Crutch and as you indicate. Without it, everything can bounce out while trailering or, once the mast is stepped and you're manuevering to or from the launch point. My concern when on the water is that if I should raise the tiller for more room in the cockpit at anchor that, once the tiller's movement isn't limited by the internal dimensions of coaming then (that) bottom bracket can be forced against the transom possibly, with enough force to cause damage. I believe that's why there is a butterfly nut provided on today's Rudder Craft models so that you can remove the bottom crutch bracket to prevent it from hitting the transom. I'm probably over thinking this. Hence, my question to see if others just leave the bottom bracket in place while sailing.

George

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2013
Ah! That was good of Ruddercraft to drill the extra holes in the crutch. Mine came with only one hole!

My thumb screw is in the top bracket only, none on the bottom. But my lower bracket impacts the gudgeon, not the hull, so there's no problem.

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
Ah! That was good of Ruddercraft to drill the extra holes in the crutch. Mine came with only one hole!

My thumb screw is in the top bracket only, none on the bottom. But my lower bracket impacts the gudgeon, not the hull, so there's no problem.
Same - thumb screw on the top bracket only.

:plus: on the extra holes - I'll have to do that! We replaced the screw + net with a ball-lock pin. Easier to get in and out of the holes while lifting the mast (and we had dropped the wing nut one time too many).

Good question about the bracket impacting the hull - I wondered the same thing when I mounted the Ruddercraft, and elected not to worry about it. I think I see a little smudge in the paint where our lower bracket impacts the hull, so it must have happened at some point, but our transom has many smudges larger than that, so I think I'll continue not worrying about it. :biggrin:

It only impacts when the rudder is at a really steep angle; at that point, the rudder is probably stalled anyway. YMMV.

Sep 30, 2013
[QUOTE="AaronD, post: 1785336, member: 126637"
our lower bracket impacts the hull,
[/QUOTE]

I’m trying to understand how that can be! How does my arrangement differ from yours?

image.jpgimage.jpg

Sep 17, 2022
Catalina 22 Oolagah
On the current Mast Crutch, there are nylock spacers that stand the crutch off of the Unifoil rudder head by 7/8". Gene, it appears that your assembly is right against the rudder head so it has less travel and hits your gudgeons where AronD and my assembly clear the gudgeon but can hit the transom if the tiller is raised above the coaming to allow more movement. I sent pictures to Rudder Craft and they said it's properly installed and should not be an issue. Here are pics of my install:
IMG_5336 Rudder Craft Mast Crutch bottom(1).JPGIMG_5337 Rudder Craft Mast Crutch 1.JPG

Sep 30, 2013
That's odd. I would reduce that spacing somehow regardless what Ruddercraft says. Gel coat is a terrible thing to waste.

For what it's worth, I have found Ruddercraft's customer service (and more importantly, their products) to be ... somewhat less than perfect, you might say. When I first bought this rudder, I wasn't fond of how it impacted the plastic transom trim when the tiller was fully turned. So what the heck, I gave them a call.

The Ruddercraft guy's response was, "It's just a Catalina 22, right? How often do you turn the tiller all the way?"

And then there was this ...