getting a new motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 16, 2005
- - Dallas Texas
I hate my 9.9 Yamaha motor; it is so dam heavy

how can I trade it in or sell it (it works well)

and what motor should I buy for a 25'

thanks

Jan 11, 2007
Columbia 28 Sarasota
wow, this is a first...

Realistically, that is the best motor for this boat. I am speaking generically, the 9.9 is tailor made for our boats. Like you, the only complaint I have ever heard was about the weight. But, all of the motors in this horsepower range weigh within a spitting distance of the other.

I don't know what the solution is. I know that my Mercury 4 stroke 9.9 is a beast to lift. I don't have the upgraded motor mount though. A new motor mount is on my Christmas list.

Good luck, but you will not be happy with the re-sale value on your motor. Keep it, grin and bear it.

My 2 cents

Ross in Tampa

Jan 16, 2005
- - Dallas Texas
Will "live with it" thanks

thank you

will do what you suggested. thanks for taking the time to respond.

Tom Irwin

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
There is an alternative ...

Here is the alternative.[see link]

Or retrofit your boat for an internal engine...

Ed K

Mar 9, 2007
Oday 25 New London,
Installed New Motor Mount Last Year

I was having the same problem. I installed a new Garelick motor mount last year, and my 9.9 comes up so easliy, that you can do it with two fingers.

Corey
S/V Donna Lynn
1976 O'day 25

Nov 24, 2005
Oday 23 Middle River, Maryland
Keep it

I just changed my Garelick mount to the proper one for my 9.9 Honda. It makes all the difference. Although changing the mount was a real project, my motor now moves in and out of the water with little effort.

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
FastScot and Corey

Corey and Fastscot:

Could you post model numbers, where you got the mounts from, did you modify the fiberglass moulded piece, approximate costs?

Ed K

Mar 9, 2007
Oday 25 New London,
Motor Mount Model #

Hi Shoaldrafter;

We used a Garelick # 302167 Stainless Steel unit that we got at Defender. We were able to use the same block/wedge, we just had to make some minor adjustments by filling in two old holes, and drilling in two news ones in the mount, transom, and backing plate. The base of the mount was slightly wider than the previous unit.

I have a back back, so this was one of the best investments that I ever made using the Admirals money.

Best of Luck !

Corey

Status
Not open for further replies.