Getting a mooring north shore of Boston

Jan 16, 2020
Catalina Capri 22 Quinsig
Ping an group members who keep their Capri on the North shore of Massachusetts. Salem, Marblehead, Gloucester in particular. I have questions about getting a mooring or slip.

Crossposted to Facebook Capri 22 group.

Jan 16, 2020
I've mooring in Salem harbor, the Marblehead side. My capri sails off and on easily.
Wooster
Is it through the Salem harbormaster? Which mooring field are you in? How long did have you had it and were you on a waiting list to get the permit? I've put in my application for area "WI" for this year as it is most likely to have an opening and has good public access from the park at Winter island.

If I may ask do you live local to Salem Harbor? If not what do you do about parking and accessing your boat?

Salem waters are divided into six mooring fields:
  • "S" - From the Kernwood Bridge to the Beverly Bridge in the Danvers River is designated Area "S". There is a long wait and very little turnover.
  • "A" - From the Beverly Bridge to Monument Bar is designated Area "A". There is very little space here and poor access from shore. This area is predominantly used by two Yacht Clubs, the Jubilee and Salem Willows.
  • "L" - From Monument Bar to Winter Island Light is designated Area "L". There is space available but poor access and exposure to severe weather.
  • "WI" - From Winter Island Light to the Power Plant Jetty is designated Area "WI". There is available space and good access from Winter Island Park. The Park Dept charges an entrance fee to park & launch, it also rents tender space. Launch service is not available at Winter Island. Call Winter Island Park at 978-745-9430.
  • "E" - From the Power Plant Jetty to Derby Wharf Light is designated Area "E". There is very little available space and poor public access here.
  • "M" - From Derby Light to Forest River is designated Area "M". There is little room in this area and the water is shallow and access poor.

Jul 22, 2013
Catalina Capri 22 Mk II Salem Harbor
You're listing of the Salem mooring fields is instructional yet not where I'm at. The Marblehead side of Salem Harbor is divided into four (I think) areas, namely V for Village street (where one of the two public docks/parking lots is), J for Jersey Street, W for Waterside Cematary (where I'm at) and S for Stramsky (this area goes out to Naugus head, the western end of Salem harbor and includes the second public dock/parking, i.e., Stramsky's). As you may surmise, being in a Marblehead mooring field it's that town's HarborMaster whom I deal with.
I acquired my mooring in 2006, prior to the big backlog/waiting list in Salem; I didn't encounter a waiting list at that time.
I live in Danvers, park my car at the Village Street lot and use the MidHarbor launch service to access my moored capri.
Now, if I were looking for a Salem area mooring (I believe this is where Northshore moorings are most attainable). I'd contact either the Salem Willows Yacht Club; my sister is a member there and I think the club is open to new members and controls their own mooring field; alternately, contact Midharbor Moorings and Launch service as they had (when last I heard) moorings for seasonal rental and/or personal acquisition.
Salem Sound is a great sailing area; I haven't tired of circumnavigating the islands or sailing along Beverly, Manchester, Gloucester shore.
Wooster

Jan 16, 2020
Wooster
Thanks for the reply. The Marblehead moorings look good I wasn't sure how accessible yhey were or what shoreside parking was available. I'll throw my hat in the ring there too but it appears to be a two year minimum backlog.

Hopefully something comes through for this season and Possibly we get to meet up on the water.

Once again thanks for the info and fair seas.