Getting a bit better at Shrinkwrap

Nov 3, 2010
Oday 39 Lake mills WI
Still far from perfect, my shrink wrapping is getting better. I'm getting better at the wrinkle free finish I need. I modified my torch which helped a lot and used up the last of the white material. My tutor and professional shrink wrapper says the blue material changes color slightly as you reach the temp where it shrinks allowing you a better chance to get a smooth wrinkle free job. Structurally, I'm there, it will hold up until June withstanding the worse Lake Superior snowfalls can dump on her. It's cost me $130 per year to do a 40 ft boat. At that rate , I think I have the best way to go for me and Panta Rhei. I've got more cost info herehttp://panta-rhei.weebly.com/whats-new-with-panta-rhei--crew

Unlike last year, I have the mast up and the boom on. I'm using the same sawhorse connection kit to support the aft end of the boom and extend support over the the cock pit. This also supports the middle of the bimini structure so I don't have to remove the structure. This is a bit controversial around the marina some think I should take the bimini structure down. I think it helps support a place where I could get a big snow load if it starts to sag. (I guess we will see when the first heavy wet snow comes) I included a photo of the structure from last year when the mast was down. The same 2x4 structure exists for 2014 holding up the aft end of the boom.

I need extend my messengers for the halyards so I can tie them off either forward or aft. My pro calls it four pointing the halyards. This year's arrangement is lacking and could cause some contact with the mast.

I am not going over the stanchions this year as two of them were bent last year due to my less than ideal design and several heavy wet snows that came early and melted between snow falls. This left several inches (about 10 in some places) of solid ice loading the structure. I also tied strapping across the boat from the top of each stanchion. Something you should never do because shrink wrap alone will tear or stretch before it bends a stanchion. I learned an important lesson last year. Don't think you are holding up snow. You are holding up ice. Water can pool in sags and freeze into solid ice, much heavier per square inch than snow.

Another lesson I learned was to use spray on contact adhesive in cold weather. Spraying some on the shrinkwrap will allow shrinkwrap tape higher initial tack in cold weather. It also allows you to reinforce with sheets of material vs many side by side strips of expensive heatshrink tape. You can see many blue pieces I used to reinforce places or where I stretched the sheet too thin.

This year's biggest improvement was the structure now using the boom and modifying the torch. You can now buy heat shrink guns for $220. Down from nearly $1000 two years ago but they still require expensive extensions for larger boats. I like my composite hockeystick extension. (very light) weight is important as you have it overhead often. I might modify it further for next year by jointing the burner nozzle with a 90 elbow directly to the flow control valve removing the heavy length of pipe.
A word of caution: be sure to keep the opening of the barrel combustion rink roughly the same size when you flatten it. I ground away some of the top and bottom corners. This is important as the combustion causes rapid expansion and you do not want a high velocity flame that will cut right through the shrinkwrap. I extended strapping from the mast forward the the bow plate. This did not leave enough slope at the bow. Snow will build up but should not cause any damage. Next year I will wrap around the bow pulpit to solve this problem.

You will also note that the boat is pitched slightly aft. all drains are aft on a O'day 39 with the exception of the anchor locker hatch cover. This I covered completely with shrinkwrap.

Attachments

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
The most important three items about a shrink wrap cover, in snow prone areas, especially wet heavy snow prone areas, are the following:

#1 Pitch

#2 Pitch

#3 Pitch

Without any of those three damage can occur when you are not there.. You want the snow to slide off naturally when you are not there to bang it off. The three P's will do this..;) From our cabin top to the peak of the cover bow I have over 8'...

The next most important items, especially if you don't have enough pitch are:

#1 Cross ties

#2 Perimeter boards

These prevent the stanchions from collapsing inward, under a heavy snow load, should it not slide naturally, these items prevent damage..

Even with enough pitch that snow never accumulates on our cover, I still use perimeter boards and cross ties..

Perimeter boards and cross ties:

Cross tie/perimeter board intersection detail:

Uprights = 2X3
Cross Ties = 2X3
Ridge Pole = 1X3 Strapping X 2
Perimeter Boards = 1.3 Strapping

Nov 3, 2010
Oday 39 Lake mills WI
The most important three items about a shrink wrap cover, in snow prone areas, especially wet heavy snow prone areas, are the following:

#1 Pitch

#2 Pitch

#3 Pitch

Without any of those three damage can occur when you are not there.. You want the snow to slide off naturally when you are not there to bang it off. The three P's will do this..;) From our cabin top to the peak of the cover bow I have over 8'...

The next most important items, especially if you don't have enough pitch are:

#1 Cross ties

#2 Perimeter boards

These prevent the stanchions from collapsing inward, under a heavy snow load, should it not slide naturally, these items prevent damage..

Even with enough pitch that snow never accumulates on our cover, I still use perimeter boards and cross ties..

Perimeter boards and cross ties:

Cross tie/perimeter board intersection detail:

Uprights = 2X3
Cross Ties = 2X3
Ridge Pole = 1X3 Strapping X 2
Perimeter Boards = 1.3 Strapping
That's great stuff !! I post many of my projects because think others reading this forum are in the same boat. (sorry could not help myself) seriously, contributions like yours give this forum great value.
I notice the mast is not up. Do you use the boom when the mast is up? I did not cover the stanchions because I could not get sufficient pitch using the boom as a center structure. Working around the stanchions is a pain and does not likely give you a water tight cover. I'm ok with that since may deck it watertight.
I attached last year's attempt. You can see why I bent two stanchions. I used the same structure in the cockpit this year. The boom rested on cross piece.

Attachments

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
That's great stuff !! I post many of my projects because think others reading this forum are in the same boat. (sorry could not help myself) seriously, contributions like yours give this forum great value.
I notice the mast is not up. Do you use the boom when the mast is up? I did not cover the stanchions because I could not get sufficient pitch using the boom as a center structure. Working around the stanchions is a pain and does not likely give you a water tight cover. I'm ok with that since may deck it watertight.
I attached last year's attempt. You can see why I bent two stanchions. I used the same structure in the cockpit this year. The boom rested on cross piece.
My mast never stays up. When it did, on another boat years ago, the boom was removed and the frame done the same way with a simple split at the mast and a support on either side fore and aft of the spar for the ridge pole...

Nov 3, 2010
Oday 39 Lake mills WI
Finished this just in time. We had 12 inches of snow in the last few days. I'm told everything slid off fine.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2010
Oday 39 Lake mills WI
View attachment 82239
I just can't imagine having to do that every year:)
Shrinking wrapping is easy. I would gladly shrinkwrap a hundred boats if we had your winter. Today I woke to 8 degs. It's now warmed up to 15. Wind speed 15 . The haze you see in the distance is steam do to the large temperature differential.

This is November, I don't want to think about January. Do you lock your boat? I may need to stowaway.

Attachments

May 16, 2011
Oday 28 Niceville, FL
Nah it's not locked. I have heat and AC when I'm at the marina. Us Floridian sailors are kind of pansies when it comes to the cold. Having the ice storm in February was the worst I'd had. My father in law has been grumbling a bit. He lives on his boat and was from st. Petersburg. It's a tad cooler up here. If you were here it would be in the water and unwrapped :). Maybe you should migrate south for the winter.

Nov 3, 2010
Oday 39 Lake mills WI
Nah it's not locked. I have heat and AC when I'm at the marina. Us Floridian sailors are kind of pansies when it comes to the cold. Having the ice storm in February was the worst I'd had. My father in law has been grumbling a bit. He lives on his boat and was from st. Petersburg. It's a tad cooler up here. If you were here it would be in the water and unwrapped :). Maybe you should migrate south for the winter.
I'm working on it. I plan to take the boat south soon. Our original plan was for my Wife and I to take it but our 12 year old Brown lab is not up for the trip. And if pressed, my wife would certainly leave me for the dog.
Our plan is to take a few weeks out of each year and take it a segment at a time.
For now, we will hang out on Lake Superior and head out when the dog has pasted. We may just ship it if things get any worse up here.

May 16, 2011
Oday 28 Niceville, FL
Ironically I have rot/lab mix that will get care over me so I fully understand :)