Get my engine running.

Apr 10, 2023
Hunter 37c Port of Madison
Yanmar 2qm20 attempt

See video^^^^ it's short.

ok gang! We are working hard on our Unicorn Hunter 37c getting her ready to go back in the water.
The lift pump diaphragm might be bad. I feel no suction from the tube. It's out of frame but I have a small container with diesel sitting in front of me. It does not seem like the hose pulled any fuel.
I put new fuel in the filter cup and closed it tight. I opened the bleeder screw there but did not get any fuel there as we cranked the motor.
Engaging the compression (or is it engaging the decompression?) By pushing the arm aft on the engine almost made it want to start.

I'm not actually trying to start it as much as I just want to bleed the lines of air and get clean fuel through.
Before I stopped to rethink the situation, the last crank almost turned over and it coughed some black smoke out (I have the exhaust pipe removed from the elbow so I can see what's happening) and that made me hesitant to do any more experiments.

I have a new lift pump I can put on and try that. Otherwise maybe I can hand cranit the engine to see if I can get it to pull fuel up to the filter? Any advice or tips will be appreciated. You guys are the best!

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
Are you referring to the crankshaft driven pump that is on the starboard side of the engine?

If so then rotate the engine until the hand pumping lever on the pump is free to move. Then operate the lever until either you get fuel out of the bleed screw or your hand falls off.

If neither ever happens the pump may be bad.

With the decompression lever pushed to the rear the engine will never start.

You may have to bleed more than once.

Don’t crank for long enough to flood the exhaust with cooling water.

I have been through this after changing filters and long ago after changing that pump.

Apr 10, 2023
Hunter 37c Port of Madison
Are you referring to the crankshaft driven pump that is on the starboard side of the engine?
Then operate the lever until either you get fuel out of the bleed screw or your hand falls off.
If neither ever happens the pump may be bad.
This answers several questions and brings a few more.
Now I see the difference between the "fuel injection pump" and the "fuel feed pump"
More things to explore.
I have the other manual also but this is generally the route I am taking.
Dear Neptune I don't want to open that up.
Thank for for your help!

Attachments

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
Just to clarify. They are both camshaft driven mechanical pumps. The one I am recommending you to manually operate is labeled fuel feed in your diagram and pumps not the on engine fuel filter in the same diagram.