Genoa track placement on Oday 25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 31, 2009
Oday 25 Branford, CT
Hi all,

My 1976 Oday 25 has no genoa tracks, just the deck blocks forward of the coamings. Is this odd, or did Oday perhaps offer this as an option? In any event, I am now planning to add tracks to accommodate my furling genoa. Not sure, but I think it's either a 120 or 135. I went through the archives here, and it seems the most common placement is on the coaming outboard just aft of the winch.

My question - how do I access this area from underneath to install backing and secure the bolts? I think the starboard side is doable, although tight, through the cockpit locker. But on the port side it looks like the ceiling is in the way. Has anyone done this - is there an easier way? Or is there a better track location that offers better access underneath?

Thanks in advance.

ruidh

Oct 1, 2007
Oday 23 Manhasset Bay, LI
Aft of the winch sounds a bit far back for a 120 or a 135. I have a 23 and a 135 genoa. My tracks *start* at the winch and run forward. I set my block towards the front half of that near the lifeline stanchion.

P1000218 by ruidh, on Flickr

Aug 31, 2009
Oday 25 Branford, CT
Thanks for the reply. On the Oday 25, the winch is up on the coaming, and there isn't a lot of room to install track forward of the winch. Most of the 25's I've seen have the track aft of the winch. I'm just not sure how to access this from underneath, especially on the port side.

Erieau

Apr 3, 2009
Oday 25 Erieau
Mine is aft of the winch. Access is via the quarter-berth ceiling, through access ports. There are two ports there; one looks original, for servicing the winch on that side. I was able to reach all the genny-track nuts, but an extra elbow would have made it a much easier job.

Sep 11, 2010
Oday 25 Living in Edmonton, Boat moored at Gull Lake.
On my 25 the tracks start quite a bit in front of the winch and go back almost to the stern. I've attached a pic, hope you can see the placement. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic. I will be at boat tomorrow and will snap another pic if I can remember.

On the port side, in the quarter berth compartment, there are 2 access hoes cut - pretty big - about 7 - 8 inches maybe. These allow access to service items up top. If you don't have these holes, you will have to cut them! I had to cut a couple similar size holes in my O'Day 20 and I used a dremel, with the circular arm attachment. It cut the holes like butter!

Mark

Attachments

Mar 30, 2006
- - Apponaug, RI
Hi Mad Dog,
I sail a 25 as well and when I bought it I was using the 150 that came with the boat. Sheeting was to the aft set of blocks that Mark is showing. However when I had my current 135 built, the sail maker said I'd need to put a track forward of the coaming in order to get proper sheeting angle. I put the back end of the track about 6" forward of the coaming and it's about 3' long (give or take). I put it about the middle of the deck, essentialy over and replacing the single deck block for the smaller jib.

Hope this info is helpful.

Greg

Aug 31, 2009
Oday 25 Branford, CT
Thanks to all for the replies. My winches are installed pretty far forward on the coaming. There is a bevel in the gunwale outboard that looks like it's meant for a track, so I may just install the track there. I'd also like to install a shorter track forward of the coaming and inboard of the deck block because, with the deck block, I can't get the genoa sheeted in properly when I'm close hauled. Thanks for the tip on the dremel....will have to pick up one and a saw attachment.

ebsail

Nov 28, 2010
O day 25 Nyack. New York
I just bought a 135 for a Catalina 25 from FX Saills and it's almost perfect for the ODay 25 with the block as far forward as possible on the coaming . Perfect would be if I could move the block forward a few more inches but there's no more track forward. Thinking of putting a fixed block further forward on the coaming just ahead of the winch. Then a second track on the deck to replace the original fixed block which will then allow me to trim correctly with the Jenny partially rolled up to about 100%. Anyone ever do this or something similar? Ernie

Aug 31, 2009
Oday 25 Branford, CT
On my 25 the tracks start quite a bit in front of the winch and go back almost to the stern. I've attached a pic, hope you can see the placement. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic. I will be at boat tomorrow and will snap another pic if I can remember.

On the port side, in the quarter berth compartment, there are 2 access hoes cut - pretty big - about 7 - 8 inches maybe. These allow access to service items up top. If you don't have these holes, you will have to cut them! I had to cut a couple similar size holes in my O'Day 20 and I used a dremel, with the circular arm attachment. It cut the holes like butter!

Mark
Mark, it looks like your tracks are on the same part of the gunwale that I'm considering. It's a beveled edge that runs from near the winch to the stern. What kind of backing plate is required for the track? Or is the glass thick enough in this area to just use washers?

Jun 27, 2012
Mad Dog said:
Hi all,

My 1976 Oday 25 has no genoa tracks, just the deck blocks forward of the coamings. Is this odd, or did Oday perhaps offer this as an option? In any event, I am now planning to add tracks to accommodate my furling genoa. Not sure, but I think it's either a 120 or 135. I went through the archives here, and it seems the most common placement is on the coaming outboard just aft of the winch.

My question - how do I access this area from underneath to install backing and secure the bolts? I think the starboard side is doable, although tight, through the cockpit locker. But on the port side it looks like the ceiling is in the way. Has anyone done this - is there an easier way? Or is there a better track location that offers better access underneath?

Thanks in advance.
My 1977 Oday 25 has the genoa track mounted aft of the winches. These tracks were mounted in the beveled ledge as talked about by others. I use the fixed cars near the shrouds with the 110% jib, and the rear cars on tracks with the 150% genoa or the spinacker. I had my sailmaker design my 135% with a high clew for use with the rear tracks so this sail would maintain shape and retain the proper sheeting angle. I access the bolts as mentioned earlier from large holes in the liner. Added extra holes as helpers for the manual dexterity challenged. Used a 4 inch hole saw on the drill, worked great. I guess the most important detail is to maintain the correct sheeting angle with moving the cars or design of the sail for correct clew height.

Status
Not open for further replies.